Westminster basketball: Griffins defeat DSU for 10th straight win
The No. 3 Westminster College women’s basketball team extended its season-long winning streak to 10 games with an 87-46 win over Dickinson State (N.D.) on Saturday night in the Behnken Field House.
Westminster (17-2, 11-0 Frontier) dominated the game from early on thanks to the long ball. The Griffins made their first nine attempts from beyond the arc, with the only miss of the first half coming on a buzzer beater from Alli Blake. Amy Krommenhoek sparked the hot shooting by going 5-of-5 from beyond the arc in the first half and finished with 19 points in the frame.
The Griffins finished the game at 52.7 percent from the field as they matched a season-high with 87 points. The 12 made threes also tied the season high as they finished the game at 60 percent from three. They handed out 23 assists with 24 points in the paint and posting a 37-32 edge on the boards. Dickinson State (13-13, 3-8) shot just 32.7 percent from the floor and committed 20 turnovers which turned into 21 Griffin points.
Krommenhoek finished the night with a career-high 27 points behind her 7-of-9 shooting from beyond the arc. The seven made triples are tied for second-most in school history. She made 9-of-11 shots overall while also grabbing three rebounds and three assists.
Tia Pappas added 15 points on 6-of-8 shooting while also getting five steals. Kelsi Wells chipped in 12 points and five rebounds. Katie Richens finished with 10 points and six rebounds.
Dickinson State was led by 10 points from Ja’Lisa Gatlin. Keshawnee Alley added nine points.
Westminster will be back in action Saturday when it hosts Carroll (Mont.) at 5:30 p.m. MST in the Behnken Field House.
- BYU supports Virginia kicker whose dad...
- Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 4: Ranking the...
- BYU football: No rest for BYU defense during...
- The photos from the seats and the sideline...
- Former BYU tight end Dennis Pitta's season is...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Knuckleheads with...
- Ute coach Kyle Whittingham congratulates...
- Pac-12 conference is off to strong start in 2014
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 163
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 111
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 82
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 76
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 53
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart... 32
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset,... 29