Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
BYU women's soccer signed eight recruits for the 2014 season on Wednesday to bolster the two-time defending West Coast Conference champions. A year after signing seven players from five different states, all eight recruits come from Utah.
The 2014 signing class includes: Rachel Bingham of Mapleton and Maple Mountain High School who played her club soccer for Sparta United; Nadia Gomes of Sandy and Brighton High School who played her club soccer for Murray Max SC; Alyssa Jefferson of Sandy and Jordan High School who played club soccer for Sparta United; Madie Lyons of Sandy and Alta High School who played for Sparta United; Shaylyn Orr of Draper and Alta High School who played for Sparta United; Elisabeth "Bizzy" Phillips of Sandy and Alta High School who played for Sparta United; Stephanie Ringwood of Cottonwood Heights and Brighton High School who played for Sparta United; and Carla Swensen of South Jordan and Bingham High School who played for Black Diamond SC.
"We have an amazing class that we're so excited about," BYU head coach Jennifer Rockwood said. "It's just going to be a fantastic class. There's a great mix of forwards, midfielders and defenders. It's going to bring in a lot of speed and athleticism."
Even though all eight are from Utah, two of the girls have international experience. Swensen didn't play her senior year at Bingham so she could concentrate on the Colombian U-20 national team, which missed out on qualifying for the U-20 World Cup in Canada by one spot. Gomes played for Portugal's U-19 national team in UEFA U-19 European Championship Qualifying this past fall. The Portuguese team qualified for the final round of qualifying which will take place this April before the championships this summer. Swensen and Gomes are forwards and are joined in this signing class by Lyons who was an All-State selection the past two years.
In the midfield, the class is led by Phillips, who was just named Gatorade Utah Girls Soccer Player of the Year for the second consecutive year. Phillips holds the career assist record at Alta and has twice been an All-American. She will be joined by fellow All-American Bingham and Ringwood in the midfield.
The Cougars signed two defenders in Jefferson and Orr, who will compete for spots on the back line where four different freshman started last year.
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon State
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- BYU's Tyler Haws' recovery from an ankle...
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head coach...
- Jazz rookie Dante Exum looks like a kid but...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 172
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 113
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 44