Tom Smart, Deseret News
BYU rugby begins its 2014 season this weekend with a trip to Mesquite, Nev., to compete in the Red Rock Invitational on Feb. 7-8.
“It’s good to have the season finally here,” head coach David Smyth said. “This weekend will be a good opportunity for all the players to get some game time. They are excited and eager so we are looking forward to it.”
BYU captain Kyle Sumsion said this weekend’s matches will be the Cougars first opportunity to see where the team stands in its preparations for the season.
“We’ve been going after each other pretty good for the past month,” he said. “It will be good to finally play someone other than ourselves. I think we’re all pretty excited to get some real game time and see how we do.”
The Cougars will take on Weber State on Friday followed by a match with UNLV on Saturday. Both games are at the Mesquite Sports and Event Complex and begin at 1 p.m. PST.
The BYU reserve squads will also have matches against the Dixie State and Salt Lake Community College squads. In total, the Cougars will play five games during the Red Rock Invitational.
Justin Green is the SID over men's track and cross country for BYU Athletic Communications as well as BYU Rugby. He is a BYU student majoring in public relations and minoring in business and will graduate in April 2014. Email: justinjgreen8@gmail.
- Warriors cap greatest Finals collapse with...
- LeBron James wins NBA Finals MVP for 3rd time
- NBC to unveil new theme song for 'Sunday...
- From Ben Simmons down, international players...
- Facing Argentina, Messi in Copa semis not...
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 62
- Utah football to host Weber State in 2021 41
- Kyle Whittingham says Utah Utes... 37
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Jakob Poeltl to the Utah Jazz? It's... 25
- Morning links: Warriors feel Andrew... 22
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 22