Tom Smart, Deseret News
BYU rugby begins its 2014 season this weekend with a trip to Mesquite, Nev., to compete in the Red Rock Invitational on Feb. 7-8.
“It’s good to have the season finally here,” head coach David Smyth said. “This weekend will be a good opportunity for all the players to get some game time. They are excited and eager so we are looking forward to it.”
BYU captain Kyle Sumsion said this weekend’s matches will be the Cougars first opportunity to see where the team stands in its preparations for the season.
“We’ve been going after each other pretty good for the past month,” he said. “It will be good to finally play someone other than ourselves. I think we’re all pretty excited to get some real game time and see how we do.”
The Cougars will take on Weber State on Friday followed by a match with UNLV on Saturday. Both games are at the Mesquite Sports and Event Complex and begin at 1 p.m. PST.
The BYU reserve squads will also have matches against the Dixie State and Salt Lake Community College squads. In total, the Cougars will play five games during the Red Rock Invitational.
Justin Green is the SID over men's track and cross country for BYU Athletic Communications as well as BYU Rugby. He is a BYU student majoring in public relations and minoring in business and will graduate in April 2014. Email: justinjgreen8@gmail.
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real possibility...
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will...
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU fans...
- Nicholls State assistant football coach is...
- BYU's Bronson Kaufusi eager to display new...
- Reports: Former BYU star Brett Keisel agrees...
- BYU camp report: Taysom Hill throws a pair of...
- Rock On: BYU soccer star gone, not forgotten
- College football: BYU, Utah State... 131
- Travis Wilson edges out Kendal Thompson... 92
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU... 70
- ESPN lists BYU and Utah State as... 64
- Dick Harmon: Will Utah State, BYU be... 46
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will... 44
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 40
- BYU's offense 'too sloppy' in scrimmage 29