Tooele mom charged after son ingests methadone, dies
Family members plead with a judge to allow her to attend 2-year-old's funeral
TOOELE — A Tooele woman whose young son died after drinking methadone in his sippy cup has been charged with child abuse homicide.
Jill Goff, 32, was charged Wednesday with the second-degree felony in connection with the death of her 2-year-old son, Aiden Larell Goff.
Now, Goff's family is pleading with the presiding judge to allow her to leave jail long enough to attend the boy's funeral.
"She loved that little guy with all of her heart I'm telling you as the father to that child. She absolutely never meant any harm to that beautiful young person or any of her kids," Cody Goff, Jill's husband, wrote in a letter to 3rd District Judge Robert Adkins.
The probable cause statement that is typically attached with any criminal case filed in state court that describes the evidence that warrants the charge was listed Thursday as "protected" in court records. The court admitted Friday it was a clerical error and the statement was now public.
When Goff was arrested Feb. 1, however, such a statement filed when she was booked into the Tooele County Jail noted that paramedics were called to her house, 485 Oak St., on Jan. 31 because the toddler was not breathing. He died at the scene.
Several hours later, about 1:30 a.m. Saturday, police were called to Mountain West Medical Center where the deceased toddler's 8-year-old brother was having health issues. The boy "started breaking out in a rash and his eyes were swollen," the report states.
Tests were conducted at the hospital, and the 8-year-old tested positive for having methadone in his system, said Tooele Police Capt. Paul Wimmer. The boy's 5-year-old sister was then tested as a precaution, and she, too, was found to have methadone in her body, he said.
The siblings told investigators that their mother "fixed a pink drink for the 2-year-old. He didn't like the drink so she had the 5-year-old taste it. She said it was gross. Mrs. Goff had the 8-year-old taste it, and he said it tasted like medicine," the report states.
Police say Goff told officers she accidentally poured methadone into a cup rather than Gatorade but didn't immediately call for help because she was scared.
The court has received several letters from family members pleading for compassion by the judge. The letters all said the boy's death was nothing more than a tragic accident.
"I can't even imagine the pain she is feeling right now. To have this happen and be charged with this is anyone's worst nightmare," wrote Margaret Goff, Jill Goff's mother-in-law.
They all pleaded with the judge to let Goff attend the boy's funeral.
"Please really give some thought to it. We are a strong family and know that there is consequences for all of this. We will just take one day at a time and pray for the best," Margaret Goff wrote.
Crystal Goff, Jill's sister-in-law, said her entire family wanted her there at the funeral. She said she can't imagine how they are feeling at this point.
"I know how bad I'm hurt and I know theirs is a million times worse," she wrote.
Cody Goff pleaded with the judge, "from the bottom of my heart to the bottom of my soul," to allow her to attend the funeral. He said his wife made a mistake that has affected all of their lives.
The funeral for Goff's 2-year-old son is scheduled for 11 a.m. Saturday in Grantsville.
"Aiden laughed and smiled throughout his two and half years, bringing joy and happiness to everyone he touched. Aiden is deeply loved by his mommy and daddy, his grandparents, his great grandmother, his aunts and uncles, his cousins and many, many others," the boy's obituary states.
Goff is scheduled to appear in court on Monday.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- Lehi toddler killed in accident remembered as...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- A river runs dry: Water and the future of...
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more in wake...
- Employee error ruins 41 acres of Salt Lake...
- Boy, 3, killed in Lehi scooter accident
- Photo gallery: Holi festival immerses Utahns...
- American Fork cyclist killed during training...
- BYU student claims he was evicted after... 50
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 36
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more... 36
- Meetings to resolve Medicaid expansion... 29
- Critics worry firing squad law will... 28
- Tea party movement still strong,... 23
- Firing squad's return in Utah may... 14
- A river runs dry: Water and the future... 13