Weber State basketball: Wildcats are back home to take on North Dakota
OGDEN — Coming off a heartbreaking loss last weekend, the Weber State Wildcats begin the second half of Big Sky play with a two-game homestand, starting Thursday night against the University of North Dakota.
In one of the craziest back-and-forth contests of the year, Sacramento State defeated Weber State 78-75 in overtime last Saturday night on a last second, 75-foot heave at the buzzer. The loss snapped the ‘Cats six-game winning streak.
Despite the tough loss, WSU sits in sole possession of first place in the Big Sky Conference midway through the regular season.
UND is in the middle of a four-game road trip. It most recently fell 70-68 at Portland State last Saturday night, snapping a four-game winning streak in the process.
WSU continues to make its presence known on the defensive end, as it ranks first in the Big Sky in scoring defense, field goal percentage defense and 3-point field goal percentage defense. The ‘Cats also rank second in the league in scoring margin, rebounding and rebounding margin.
WSU senior Davion Berry will look to continue his star-studded play, as he leads the purple and white in scoring (19.1), assists (3.6), steals (1.2), 3-pointers made (37) and assist-to-turnover ratio (1.4).
Sophomore Joel Bolomboy has now recorded double figures in rebounding in 10 of the last 11 games. Bolomboy leads the Big Sky and ranks sixth in the nation in rebounding at 11.1 per game.
North Dakota leads the conference in steals per game (8.9) and turnover margin (4.2), and will look to emphasize those areas against WSU.
Weber State will have its hands full with UND senior Troy Huff, who ranks second in the Big Sky in scoring (19.7) and first in steals per game (7.5).
The Wildcats are 4-0 all time against North Dakota, including a 72-60 win in Grand Forks, N.D., earlier this season.
Weber State and North Dakota are set to tip off at 7 p.m. Thursday night at the Dee Events Center.
Ryan Love is a full-time student at the University of Utah studying communications, and has been a part-time sportswriter and scoreboarder for the Deseret News since Oct. 2012.
Follow him on Twitter @RLove7724
- Phil Mickelson to forfeit nearly $1 million...
- Perfect 10: Cavs stay unbeaten in postseason,...
- AP source: Lincecum completes $2.5 million...
- RSL's Kyle Beckerman named to USMNT's Copa...
- Exaggerator finally beats Nyquist, wins...
- DeRozan, Raptors end Cavaliers' streak with...
- 20 years ago: Utah Jazz drop heartbreaker to...
- 2 Indian climbers missing on Mount Everest...
- Morning links: Tanner Mangum an... 52
- Utah basketball adds Czech big man... 41
- Softball: Utah advances to regional... 33
- Utah defensive lineman reportedly... 22
- Utah softball beats Kentucky, 5-3, to... 16
- Video: 100 days until college football... 13
- Kyle Collinsworth to work out for... 8
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 8