Utah's state website earns 2 more awards for 2013, bringing total to 17
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah’s official government website, Utah.gov, recently received two more awards to add to its 2013 collection, a list now 17 honors long.
The website was awarded the MobileWebAward by the Web Marketing Association for having the best mobile government website. The site is mobile responsive, meaning it will size itself properly for each kind of device, and it is tailored to each user depending on location.
Using geolocation, the site pulls information from a master data index on legislators, bills of interest, local meetings, parks and schools.
"We know people have a purpose when they come to the site, so we want to make sure that a (resident) can go to Utah.gov and find the information or service they need as quickly a possible," said Rich Olsen, general manager of Utah Interactive, which has managed Utah.gov since 1999.
The search-focused site receives about 20 percent of its traffic from mobile devices, Olsen said. He added that Utah Interactive is working to make other tasks, such as renewing license plates, mobile responsive as well.
Utah.gov was received the Davey Award from the International Academy of the Visual Arts for having outstanding creative work.
When users search a topic, they see links to pertinent information and services, as well as the most recent YouTube videos and tweets about the topic.
"The main focus is to give them what they need and give them a pleasurable experience while they're on the site," Olsen said.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 42
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 36
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29
- Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's family,... 24