Utah's state website earns 2 more awards for 2013, bringing total to 17
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah’s official government website, Utah.gov, recently received two more awards to add to its 2013 collection, a list now 17 honors long.
The website was awarded the MobileWebAward by the Web Marketing Association for having the best mobile government website. The site is mobile responsive, meaning it will size itself properly for each kind of device, and it is tailored to each user depending on location.
Using geolocation, the site pulls information from a master data index on legislators, bills of interest, local meetings, parks and schools.
"We know people have a purpose when they come to the site, so we want to make sure that a (resident) can go to Utah.gov and find the information or service they need as quickly a possible," said Rich Olsen, general manager of Utah Interactive, which has managed Utah.gov since 1999.
The search-focused site receives about 20 percent of its traffic from mobile devices, Olsen said. He added that Utah Interactive is working to make other tasks, such as renewing license plates, mobile responsive as well.
Utah.gov was received the Davey Award from the International Academy of the Visual Arts for having outstanding creative work.
When users search a topic, they see links to pertinent information and services, as well as the most recent YouTube videos and tweets about the topic.
"The main focus is to give them what they need and give them a pleasurable experience while they're on the site," Olsen said.
- Fountain Green holds first Christmas light...
- Baby's first Christmas comes with gift of hope
- Pranks spark collection of toilet paper by...
- What to do after the presents are opened?...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an...
- Christmas tradition: Judge visits jail to...
- Looming knee surgery inspired man to carve canes
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 123
- List of potential prison sites cut to... 44
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 29
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head... 18
- Pleasant Grove pizza manager arrested... 12
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 12
- Utah family making renewed push for... 9
- Judge issues summons for 'Super Dell' 9