Utah's state website earns 2 more awards for 2013, bringing total to 17
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah’s official government website, Utah.gov, recently received two more awards to add to its 2013 collection, a list now 17 honors long.
The website was awarded the MobileWebAward by the Web Marketing Association for having the best mobile government website. The site is mobile responsive, meaning it will size itself properly for each kind of device, and it is tailored to each user depending on location.
Using geolocation, the site pulls information from a master data index on legislators, bills of interest, local meetings, parks and schools.
"We know people have a purpose when they come to the site, so we want to make sure that a (resident) can go to Utah.gov and find the information or service they need as quickly a possible," said Rich Olsen, general manager of Utah Interactive, which has managed Utah.gov since 1999.
The search-focused site receives about 20 percent of its traffic from mobile devices, Olsen said. He added that Utah Interactive is working to make other tasks, such as renewing license plates, mobile responsive as well.
Utah.gov was received the Davey Award from the International Academy of the Visual Arts for having outstanding creative work.
When users search a topic, they see links to pertinent information and services, as well as the most recent YouTube videos and tweets about the topic.
"The main focus is to give them what they need and give them a pleasurable experience while they're on the site," Olsen said.
- Logan couple killed, baby survives in auto...
- BYU conference explores what's next for...
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without parole?
- 25 of the craziest — and cutest —...
- Car hydroplanes, pushes stranded vehicle on...
- Officer being called a hero for saving Salt...
- Firefighter puts injured dog on shoulders,...
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of...
- BYU conference explores what's next for... 54
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without... 52
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of... 41
- Idaho's gay marriage ban remains in... 38
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty... 27
- Utah senators seeking support for... 17
- Pig-shaped hot air balloon crashes in... 12
- Rubio, Christie planning sleepover with... 12