Courtesy of Allyson Reynolds
We’ve all heard of postpartum baby blues, but what about midlife mom blues?
I want to clarify right off the bat that I am actually in one of the best places of my life up to now. There are so many great things about getting older alongside my children that it almost goes without saying. I am much more comfortable with who I am. I care much less about comparing, competing and keeping up. I have figured out what makes me tick, what I truly love, and how to live in a way that brings me happiness and my own brand of success. As for the kids, they all sleep through the night, wipe their own noses and bums, feed and dress themselves, and get themselves in and out of the car. (How awesome is that?)
I’m just barely at the beginning of this new stage of motherhood with my youngest turning 6 and starting kindergarten last fall. After 17 years, all my kids will finally be in school full time next September. And while my youngest still hasn’t totally phased out of needing help with some of the things above, for the most part, I am free and clear of the physical demands of early motherhood that pretty much dominated my life for more than a decade. And I admit, it’s nice. Very, very nice.
My 40s always sounded great to me when I thought about my kids being older and how I would still have so many good years ahead of me. And in most ways, it is just as I had hoped. I can go to Target or a lunch date without a diaper bag or the companionship of a whiny toddler, I have built-in baby sitters, and again, I can sleep all. night. long. But there are some things about being a midlife mom that I never anticipated, and occasionally they get the best of me. "Like what?" you may ask. I’ll give you my top five.
- BYU student parlays app idea into a life-changer
- 2015 summer festivals and celebrations around...
- Erin Stewart: Are your possessions stealing...
- Motherhood Matters: 6 ways to help your shy...
- How different types of mothers have different...
- It's 'trauma season' in Utah for children
- U.S. marriage rate hits new low and may...
- Family stress and poverty affect... 12
- BYU student parlays app idea into a... 12
- Why exposing your children to another... 7
- Disney's 'Tomorrowland' is a... 5
- How strict should parents really be? 5
- How different types of mothers have... 4
- About Utah: Reliving their great escape... 4
- Great-grandfather receives honorary... 3