Tom Smart, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — A faith-based group and two community advocates received awards from the Salt Lake Interfaith Roundtable last week.
Catholic Community Services, homeless advocate Pamela Atkinson, and Utah Interfaith Power and Light director Susan Soleil were recognized for their efforts and service.
Catholic Community Services' executive director Brad Drake accepted the Community Outreach Award on behalf of his organization. The agency was organized in 1945 by the Catholic Diocese of Salt Lake City and has led in aiding refugee resettlement, treatment services and basic needs services, among other acts.
Atkinson, an advocate for homeless and low-income Utahns, received the Individual Award for providing harmony and love in the community. She has served impoverished and underprivileged residents for more than 20 years.
Soleil received the We Can't Live Without You honor for her community work in promoting a healthier environment for everyone. She leads Utah Interfaith Power and Light, as it “inspires, educates and collaborates with faith communities to promote earth stewardship, clean energy and climate justice,” according to a press release.
The awards kicked off Interfaith Month, and the month will culminate in the Roundtable's Musical Tribute event on Feb. 23, 6 p.m. at the Salt Lake Tabernacle. Information about the event is available online at www.interfaithroundtable.org/musical-tribute/.
The roundtable is a nonprofit that aims to "promote love, harmony, and an increased understanding among persons of all faith traditions, cultures and belief systems everywhere," the release states.
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Religious groups react to Boy Scouts’...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- 14 surprising, heartwarming videos of LDS...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Passing the torch
- DJ Kaskade talks about sticking to LDS...
- Another Book of Mormon musical opens in Salt...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 289
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 128
- Religious groups react to Boy... 70
- Do contraceptive rules make religious... 42
- Are lawsuits ahead for church-based Boy... 30
- Another Book of Mormon musical opens in... 26
- ... 10
- DJ Kaskade talks about sticking to LDS... 3