Tom Smart, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — A faith-based group and two community advocates received awards from the Salt Lake Interfaith Roundtable last week.
Catholic Community Services, homeless advocate Pamela Atkinson, and Utah Interfaith Power and Light director Susan Soleil were recognized for their efforts and service.
Catholic Community Services' executive director Brad Drake accepted the Community Outreach Award on behalf of his organization. The agency was organized in 1945 by the Catholic Diocese of Salt Lake City and has led in aiding refugee resettlement, treatment services and basic needs services, among other acts.
Atkinson, an advocate for homeless and low-income Utahns, received the Individual Award for providing harmony and love in the community. She has served impoverished and underprivileged residents for more than 20 years.
Soleil received the We Can't Live Without You honor for her community work in promoting a healthier environment for everyone. She leads Utah Interfaith Power and Light, as it “inspires, educates and collaborates with faith communities to promote earth stewardship, clean energy and climate justice,” according to a press release.
The awards kicked off Interfaith Month, and the month will culminate in the Roundtable's Musical Tribute event on Feb. 23, 6 p.m. at the Salt Lake Tabernacle. Information about the event is available online at www.interfaithroundtable.org/musical-tribute/.
The roundtable is a nonprofit that aims to "promote love, harmony, and an increased understanding among persons of all faith traditions, cultures and belief systems everywhere," the release states.
- Mormon coaches and callings: How they balance...
- LDS Church announces new seminary graduation...
- LDS Church announces feature-length...
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host a...
- Defending the Faith: The very surprising...
- Watch: LDS bishop featured in 'Meet the...
- Mormons on social media react to Elder...
- How President Uchtdorf upended my apple cart
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host... 108
- SUU coach Ed Lamb is not a Mormon but... 39
- Elder Bednar invites Mormons to use... 39
- LDS Church announces feature-length... 38
- Defending the Faith: The very... 23
- End of an era: Huntsville bookshop... 22
- Mormon coaches and callings: How they... 17
- How President Uchtdorf upended my apple... 12