Tom Smart, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — A flag dedicated to honoring fallen officers was flown to Utah on Tuesday to be part of the funeral for a slain sheriff's sergeant.
The U.S. Honor Flag will be used Wednesday in the funeral for Utah County Sheriff's Sgt. Cory Wride in Spanish Fork. The flag has been used at many fallen officers' funerals throughout the country.
Shortly after the terrorist attacks Sept. 11, 2001, a flag was gifted to U.S. Honor Flag co-founder Chris Heisler by the Texas House of Representatives. Since September 2001, the U.S. Honor Flag has paid tribute to those who have lost their lives in the line of duty protecting their lives, homes and country, and also those who currently serve communities and the nation, according to the U.S. Honor Flag website.
Also, Spanish Fork schools in the city will be dismissed early Wednesday for Wride's funeral.
All secondary schools will be dismissed at 11:15 a.m., and all elementary schools will be excused at noon.
The Spanish Fork Police Department has advised Nebo School District that Main Street and 300 South will be closed from 1 p.m. to approximately 3:30 p.m., and city officials anticipate significant traffic delays and congestion that would interfere with students leaving school at the regularly scheduled time.
The school schedule is being implemented to avoid confusion and concerns associated with significant traffic issues.
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed; police...
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite...
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion
- Judge orders girl to stand trial for...
- Salt Lake's record-setting convention kicks...
- Top 10 spring activities for Utah families
- Appeals judges question right to sue in...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 106
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 87
- 7 dead babies found in Pleasant Grove... 75
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 70
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 46
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 37
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the... 24
- Mom accused of killing 6 newborns held... 24