Hair Maidens 'blows away' head lice using technology from University of Utah researchers
Hair Maidens, the only Utah clinic certified to use the AirAllé device, also performs a comb-out of a patient's hair to remove dead nits and lice. Treatments start at $99. The device can be used on children ages 4 and up, but Hair Maidens offers other services to assist younger children who have lice.
"It's been really rewarding to do this. It's been fun to do this together and really fun to help families. It's been very satisfying for us," Hafer said.
Although there is a stigma attached to lice infestations, they are not dangerous, Hafer said.
“It’s more annoying and relatively contagious,” she said.
Lice do not fly or jump. They thrive on the blood of human hosts and the vast majority of infestations result from head-to-head contact.
While many of Hair Maidens’ clients are children, mothers often contract them from their children.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, head lice infestations are most common among preschoolers and elementary school-age children and members of their households.
"Now on average, one in four kids get head lice, so they’re very common," Clayton said.
Getting head lice is not related to cleanliness of the person or his or her environment, the CDC's website states.
Hafer said she was utterly fascinated to see mummified lice in the "Mummies of the World" exhibit hosted by The Leonardo last winter.
In order to survive millions of years, lice have evolved to resist the array of chemical treatments developed over the years intended to eradicate them.
“They’re a highly successful species,” Hafer said.
- Celebrate summer fun with a photographic look...
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort
- Southern Utah infant dies after being left in...
- Review board clears Salt Lake police officer...
- Police say son beat 70-year-old father to death
- Proposal: Real Salt Lake would pay for minor...
- Uintah County man accused of assaulting...
- Understanding Israel and Hamas: Why this...
- 67 unaccompanied children who crossed... 78
- Republican, Democratic political... 49
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort 44
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding'... 33
- Pro-Palestinian crowd rallies in Salt... 33
- Review board clears Salt Lake police... 30
- Lawsuit claims State School Board... 29
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 26