Hair Maidens 'blows away' head lice using technology from University of Utah researchers
Hair Maidens, the only Utah clinic certified to use the AirAllé device, also performs a comb-out of a patient's hair to remove dead nits and lice. Treatments start at $99. The device can be used on children ages 4 and up, but Hair Maidens offers other services to assist younger children who have lice.
"It's been really rewarding to do this. It's been fun to do this together and really fun to help families. It's been very satisfying for us," Hafer said.
Although there is a stigma attached to lice infestations, they are not dangerous, Hafer said.
“It’s more annoying and relatively contagious,” she said.
Lice do not fly or jump. They thrive on the blood of human hosts and the vast majority of infestations result from head-to-head contact.
While many of Hair Maidens’ clients are children, mothers often contract them from their children.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, head lice infestations are most common among preschoolers and elementary school-age children and members of their households.
"Now on average, one in four kids get head lice, so they’re very common," Clayton said.
Getting head lice is not related to cleanliness of the person or his or her environment, the CDC's website states.
Hafer said she was utterly fascinated to see mummified lice in the "Mummies of the World" exhibit hosted by The Leonardo last winter.
In order to survive millions of years, lice have evolved to resist the array of chemical treatments developed over the years intended to eradicate them.
“They’re a highly successful species,” Hafer said.
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile offenders...
- About Utah: Selling bikes the new-fashioned way
- Police ID man who barricaded himself in motor...
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- Teen in critical condition after slamming...
- 2016 Sterling Scholar candidates
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery store...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 53
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 22
- Are you willing to take a pledge to... 20
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15