Hair Maidens 'blows away' head lice using technology from University of Utah researchers
Hair Maidens, the only Utah clinic certified to use the AirAllé device, also performs a comb-out of a patient's hair to remove dead nits and lice. Treatments start at $99. The device can be used on children ages 4 and up, but Hair Maidens offers other services to assist younger children who have lice.
"It's been really rewarding to do this. It's been fun to do this together and really fun to help families. It's been very satisfying for us," Hafer said.
Although there is a stigma attached to lice infestations, they are not dangerous, Hafer said.
“It’s more annoying and relatively contagious,” she said.
Lice do not fly or jump. They thrive on the blood of human hosts and the vast majority of infestations result from head-to-head contact.
While many of Hair Maidens’ clients are children, mothers often contract them from their children.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, head lice infestations are most common among preschoolers and elementary school-age children and members of their households.
"Now on average, one in four kids get head lice, so they’re very common," Clayton said.
Getting head lice is not related to cleanliness of the person or his or her environment, the CDC's website states.
Hafer said she was utterly fascinated to see mummified lice in the "Mummies of the World" exhibit hosted by The Leonardo last winter.
In order to survive millions of years, lice have evolved to resist the array of chemical treatments developed over the years intended to eradicate them.
“They’re a highly successful species,” Hafer said.
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Ex-Tabiona High teacher sent to prison for...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Police break silence about controversial...
- 3 South Jordan siblings battling rare disease...
- Utah, Western states say feds are all wet on...
- 'Living nightmare' almost over for daughters...
- Police chief of Myton charged with stalking 3...
- 'They killed my son because he's... 79
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 67
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while... 52
- Police break silence about... 44
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 20
- New definition of homeless would give... 20
- Utah's Gov. Gary Herbert eyes more... 11