Kearns man charged with automobile homicide, 9 counts of DUI
TAYLORSVILLE — A Kearns man accused of killing an infant and injuring at least nine others while driving intoxicated now faces criminal charges.
Manuel de Jesus Guinea, 44, was charged Tuesday in 3rd District Court with automobile homicide, a second-degree felony; and nine counts of DUI, one of those a third-degree felony and the rest class A misdemeanors.
On Jan. 25, Guinea ran a red light at 5400 South and 1300 West and slammed his Dodge Ram into a Subaru Legacy, sparking a five-car accident, according to charging documents.
In the Legacy, 3-year-old Zane Thurber was killed. His 6-year-old brother, Holden, "lost a tooth from the impact of the collision," the charges state. Their father, Matt Thurber, suffered a concussion and lost consciousness.
The third and fourth vehicles involved the crash had a total of six people who all suffered injuries, according to the charges. One of two people in a fifth vehicle was also injured.
Prior to the crash, Guinea was spotted by another motorist "weaving in and out of his lane of travel," the charges state. At one point, police say he nearly hit another vehicle and then almost lost control of his own truck when he overcorrected.
When a detective assigned to interview Guinea arrived at the scene, he said he found him lying down in the back seat of an officer's patrol car, apparently passed out. Guinea had a hard time maintaining his balance and had a strong odor of alcohol on him, according to the charges.
Investigators believe Guinea was traveling at least 60 mph when he hit Thurber's car.
- Son of murdered woman felt peace in '91, now...
- Missionary, police testify against man...
- Police reviewing possible nightclub photos of...
- Man charged with killing baby in Ogden told...
- Attorney general deciding whether to appeal...
- Parents say daughter didn't understand her...
- Gay rights activists to fight charges for...
- Apparent lightning strike hits Duchesne...
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 49
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 45
- Attorney general deciding whether to... 39
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 35
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 35
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA... 30
- Woman accused of leaving young son... 22