Nathan Sloop admits to brutal death of 4-year-old stepson

Published: Tuesday, Feb. 4 2014 4:30 p.m. MST

Ethan Stacy, 4, died in May of 2008, just days after he arrived in Utah from Virginia to visit his mother for the summer. In just a few days, prosecutors believe the boy was severely abused, scalded, beaten, overmedicated and was not given the medical care that he needed. His step-father, Nathan Sloop, pleaded guilty but mentally ill Tuesday to aggravated murder in the boy's death. In exchange for his plea, prosecutors will not seek the death penalty against him.

Family photo

FARMINGTON — Ethan Stacy has been gone for nearly as long as he lived, but his death is still raw for his father and for the officers who investigated his brutal death.

"This is a horrendous case that's had a profound impact on the men and women of our police department and our community of Layton — in fact, I think our state of Utah," Layton Police Chief Terry Keefe said Tuesday after the 4-year-old's stepfather admitted to the murder.

"We wanted to be here to make sure justice was done for Ethan."

The young boy with glasses and big, blue eyes died in May 2010 after enduring more than a week of abuse. Tuesday, Nathanael Warren Sloop, 35, pleaded guilty but mentally ill to aggravated murder, a capital offense, in Ethan's death.

"There is no excuse. ... I made mistakes and because of those mistakes, Ethan Stacy is no longer with us," Sloop said in court. "That boy died on my watch and I'm horribly sorry."

Sloop was immediately sentenced to 25 years to life in prison as part of a plea agreement that 2nd District Judge Glen Dawson said he felt was "appropriate." Sloop said the characterization of Ethan's death being caused by his "reckless indifference" was "exactly what I think I was guilty of."

Joe Stacy, the child's father, flew in from Virginia to watch Sloop take responsibility for his part in Ethan's death. But he was too traumatized to comment in court or to the media, Davis County Attorney Troy Rawlings said.

"He felt the need and desire and want to be here for his son, to represent his son and to do whatever he can for his son," Rawlings said. "He didn't feel he would be emotionally able to explain his thoughts. ... The trauma to him is such that it is driving his decision to be silent."

By agreeing to plead guilty, Sloop avoided a possible death sentence. But Rawlings emphasized that Sloop was pleading to the count as charged. In exchange for his plea, charges of obstruction of justice, intentionally inflicting serious injury on a child, desecration of a dead body and damaging a jail were dismissed.

Ethan died in 2010, just days after he arrived in Utah from Virginia to spend the summer with his mother and Sloop, her then-fiancé, as part of a court-ordered custody agreement. Prosecutors said the child was severely abused, scalded, beaten, overmedicated and not given the medical care that he needed between April 29 and May 8.

Nathan and Stephanie Sloop got married on May 6, but left Ethan at home alone because they didn't want anyone to notice his bruises and swelling.

After Ethan died and was buried, Stephanie Sloop reported to police that her son had slipped away from their Layton apartment in the middle of the night. After searches were conducted, officers noticed inconsistencies in their stories and later located his body buried near Powder Mountain in Weber County.

The 4-year-old's body had been disfigured with a hammer and the shallow grave had been sprinkled with dog food. Ethan had been burned over 17 percent of his body.

Rawlings said that while "no one is excited" about Tuesday's plea deal, constitutional challenges to Shelby's Law — which allows prosecutors to bring capital murder charges against someone who kills a child under 14 by abuse — as well as Sloop's mental illness at the time of the killing complicated the case. He also cited questions about Ethan's cause of death, pointing to prior testimony from a medical examiner that the death was classified a homicide due to a combination of scalding injuries, drug toxicity and aspiration pneumonia and the difficulty of dividing the blame between Nathan and Stephanie Sloop, who has also been charged in the boy's death.

Try out the new DeseretNews.com design!
try beta learn more
Get The Deseret News Everywhere