Utah Valley University 141-pound senior Avery Garner has been named the Western Wrestling Conference Wrestler of the Week after an outstanding performance on the mat last weekend. The conference honor was announced Tuesday by the league.
With the dual on the line entering the final bout of the evening, Garner managed to defeat three-time NCAA qualifier Brian Owen, 6-3, to give the Wolverines a 23-18 victory over Boise State. The dual win marked UVU's third straight home triumph over BSU.
With Utah Valley clinging to a 20-18 advantage entering Garner's match, the Wolverine senior wasted little time getting things going as he jumped out to a 4-1 lead over Owen with two first-period takedowns. After a scoreless second frame, Garner then secured the bout and the dual with another takedown in the third period to win the contest. With the win, Garner improves to 9-6 on the season and a team-best 8-2 in duals.
The conference honor is Garner's first of the season and first of his career.
The Western Wrestling Conference, which is in its eighth year of competition, is comprised of six schools including the Air Force Academy, North Dakota State, Northern Colorado, South Dakota State, Utah Valley and Wyoming.
Air Force: Josh Martinez, 125 pounds, So.
North Dakota State: Tyler Lehmann, 197 pounds, RFr.
Northern Colorado: Trey Andrews, 125 pounds, RFr.
South Dakota State: Cody Pack, 157 pounds, Jr.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- UVU wrestling: Utah Valley’s Rauser...
- UVU basketball: Utah Valley travels to play...
- Braun scores 34 points; Grand Canyon beats...
- James 'Iron Cowboy' Lawrence speaks to UVU...
- College wrestling: Utah Valley opens trip...
- UVU wrestling: Forfeit dooms UVU in 27-19...
- UVU basketball: Utah Valley falls 99-88 at...
- UVU graduates charged with cultivating... 1
- BYU baseball: game at Utah Valley... 0
- UVU golf: Nyhus selected as WAC... 0
- UVU golf: Utah Valley set for WAC... 0
- UVU baseball: Wolverines open weekend... 0
- UVU softball: late surge leads UVU to... 0
- UVU softball: Wolverines drop WAC... 0
- UVU baseball: Wolverines erase early... 0