Woman escapes from man who jumped in her vehicle, police say
LAYTON — A man who police believe may have been under the influence of drugs allegedly tried to carjack a woman's vehicle on Tuesday.
About 8 a.m., an 18-year-old woman was waiting to make a left turn from Oak Hills Drive onto U.S. 89 when a man came up to her passenger door, said Layton Police Lt. Shawn Horton. She was unable to lock her doors before the man opened the passenger side and got in.
The man then "grabbed her by the throat and pushed her head against the driver’s side window," Horton said. He then asked if he could get a ride.
The woman said no, and got out of the vehicle. The man got into the driver's seat, but apparently couldn't drive a manual transmission car, Horton said. He then got out and began following the woman.
A 30-year-old Layton man saw what was happening and had the woman get into his car, Horton said. Davis County sheriff's deputies nearby also saw what was going on and confronted the man.
Kyle Douglas Booher, 29, of Clearfield, was taken to the ground after not complying with the commands of officers, and was arrested, Horton said.
"It appeared Booher may have been under the influence of drugs, but he refused to talk with investigators and was non-compliant with officers while at Layton PD," Horton said.
He was booked into the Davis County Jail for investigation of robbery, aggravated assault and interfering with an arrest.
Utah state court records indicate that Booher was charged with possession of drug paraphernalia in Layton Justice Court just a few weeks ago.
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Bingham High students walk out over dress code
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Mothers of kidnapped Bountiful girls speak out
- Mountain lion caught in Foothill neighborhood...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 163
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 84
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 38
- Police release names of officers... 37
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 18
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 17
- The ghosts under our feet: 88... 10
- Martin MacNeill gets maximum sentence... 10