Woman escapes from man who jumped in her vehicle, police say
LAYTON — A man who police believe may have been under the influence of drugs allegedly tried to carjack a woman's vehicle on Tuesday.
About 8 a.m., an 18-year-old woman was waiting to make a left turn from Oak Hills Drive onto U.S. 89 when a man came up to her passenger door, said Layton Police Lt. Shawn Horton. She was unable to lock her doors before the man opened the passenger side and got in.
The man then "grabbed her by the throat and pushed her head against the driver’s side window," Horton said. He then asked if he could get a ride.
The woman said no, and got out of the vehicle. The man got into the driver's seat, but apparently couldn't drive a manual transmission car, Horton said. He then got out and began following the woman.
A 30-year-old Layton man saw what was happening and had the woman get into his car, Horton said. Davis County sheriff's deputies nearby also saw what was going on and confronted the man.
Kyle Douglas Booher, 29, of Clearfield, was taken to the ground after not complying with the commands of officers, and was arrested, Horton said.
"It appeared Booher may have been under the influence of drugs, but he refused to talk with investigators and was non-compliant with officers while at Layton PD," Horton said.
He was booked into the Davis County Jail for investigation of robbery, aggravated assault and interfering with an arrest.
Utah state court records indicate that Booher was charged with possession of drug paraphernalia in Layton Justice Court just a few weeks ago.
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- 'He was large, he was angry, he was bloody,'...
- IRS raids properties with possible polygamist...
- Manti man indicted in Oregon occupation;...
- 7 more of the most infamous criminals in Utah...
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's...
- Friends, family remember sister missionary...
- UHP trooper hit during I-15 traffic stop
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 39
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 32
- IRS raids properties with possible... 19
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 11
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's... 10