Three nonprofit groups — the Center for Urban Renewal and Education; Coalition of African American Pastors USA and Frederick Douglass Foundation — jointly filed Tuesday the first what could be a dozen amicus or friend-of-the-court briefs supporting both sides in the case.
The brief argues that the Supreme Court decision in Loving v. Virginia, which overturned that state's ban on interracial marriage in 1967, is not analogous to the Utah same-sex case as Shelby asserted in his ruling.
Republican leaders in the Utah Senate also expressed their support Tuesday of the state’s latest legal arguments filed in defense of Amendment 3.
Majority Whip Sen. Stuart Adams, R-Layton, said the state’s sovereignty is a key concern.
"This is an issue that ought to be determined by the state and not the federal government," Adams said. "That alone, in my mind, is worthy of pursuing."
Sens. John Valentine, R-Orem, and Lyle Hillyard, R-Logan, both of whom are attorneys, expressed their support for the state’s defense of Amendment 3.
“We don’t file may cases to the Supreme Court," Valentine said. "That’s why we had to have outside counsel. We have to do this. We’re talking about the framework of Utah’s constitution.”
The state will pay Schaerr and two other outside attorneys a total of $300,000 for the appeal in the 10th Circuit.
Contributing: Marjorie Cortez
Twitter: dennisromboy; DNewsPolitics
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to replace...
- 'We're not going to stop': Parents of Anne...
- Community comes together to surprise...
- Historic Star Mill owner sells property;...
- Salt Lake police warn of vinyl fence vandals
- Alleged mastermind in sex trafficking ring...
- Photos: Olympian Noelle Pikus-Pace speaks to...
- South Jordan mayor says idea to split Jordan...
- Judge: Biological father will share... 31
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 26
- Local religious leaders urge support... 25
- Cities, state battle panhandling... 24
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to... 21
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 18
- Dog lovers walk to support anti-bias... 14
- No money for House Speaker Becky... 13