Balancing act: Look close to home for examples of work-life balance
I'm going to think of her in the future when I'm faced with tasks that I don't really want to do and remember that fun activities are always more enjoyable when the day's work is done. And that getting work done quickly and efficiently almost always leaves you with plenty of time to enjoy life.
I've learned a different set of lessons from my second-oldest daughter. She's just 13, but she's wise beyond her years.
When it comes to befriending people, she has gifts that are truly unique. We first noticed this a few years ago when she was invited to almost all the birthday parties of her then elementary school classmates. More interesting was that most of those classmates described our daughter as their best friend.
Even now, as a teenager, she has a sweetness and grace that makes her popular in the best sense of that word. She truly cares for people, no matter who they are, and she makes them feel like they are important.
Living a balanced life means more than just building a career and spending time with family. It also means looking beyond oneself and serving others. My second daughter has an innate understanding of that truth, and I'll try to do a better job of following her example by seeking opportunities to help people however I can.
I'm grateful for the lessons these three and so many others teach me every day. How about you? What have you learned about living a balanced life from your family, friends and neighbors? How have you used those lessons?
Please share your ideas, and I'll mention some of them in a future column.
- Why starting a garden doesn't save you money
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,...
- How much America wants to be taxed
- Why babies are expensive, but could save you...
- Yellen says US families need to boost savings
- Review: Larger iPhones eliminate reason to...
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 48
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 34
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Why starting a garden doesn't save you... 10
- How much America wants to be taxed 9
- Financial interventions don't work 7
- Customers wait all night, get new iPhone 6 5
- FedEx to add 50,000 seasonal jobs 2