Tooele 2-year-old dies after mom gave him methadone, police say

Published: Monday, Feb. 3 2014 4:16 p.m. MST

Jill Goff, of Tooele, was booked into the Tooele County Jail early Saturday for investigation of homicide and two counts of child abuse after three of her children drank methadone from a sippy cup. Her 2-year-old son died.

Tooele County Sheriff Department

Enlarge photo»

TOOELE — A Tooele mother was arrested over the weekend for investigation of murder after her 2-year-old son ingested methadone and died.

Jill Goff, 32, was also booked into the Tooele County Jail Saturday for investigation of child abuse and child endangerment.

Emergency crews were called to Goff's house, 485 Oak Street, about 6:45 p.m. Friday after receiving a report of a 2-year-old boy not breathing, said Tooele Police Capt. Paul Wimmer. The child died at the scene.

Several hours later, about 1:30 a.m. Saturday, police were called to Mountain West Medical Center where the deceased toddler's 8-year-old brother was now having health issues. The boy "started breaking out in a rash and his eyes were swollen," according to a jail report.

Tests were conducted at the hospital, and the 8-year-old tested positive for having methadone in his system, Wimmer said. The boy's 5-year-old sister was then tested as a precaution, and she too was found to have methadone in her body, he said.

The siblings told investigators that their mother "fixed a pink drink for the 2-year-old. He didn't like the drink so she had the 5-year-old taste it. She said it was gross. Mrs. Goff had the 8-year-old taste it and he said it tasted like medicine," the report states.

It was at that point that Goff realized she had inadvertently poured methadone into their sippy cup rather than Gatorade, according to the report. Goff reportedly kept methadone in a Gatorade bottle on the floor between her bed and the wall.

Goff told investigators she attempted to get her 2-year-old son to throw up, and then put the child down for a nap and laid down to take one herself. She said she didn't call 911 or poison control "because she was scared," police wrote in the report.

A little under three hours later, Goff's 14-year-old son discovered that his younger brother was not breathing.

The 14-year-old and another 11-year-old sibling who lived in the house did not drink the methadone, Wimmer said. The four siblings were staying Monday with other family members.

Investigators believe Goff had the methadone legally, but as of Monday Wimmer said she wasn't sure why she needed it.

Methadone is a synthetic opioid used mainly as a treatment for people addicted to opioids, such as heroin or morphine.

Contributing: Peter Samore

Email: preavy@deseretnews.com

Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam

Get The Deseret News Everywhere

Subscribe

Mobile

RSS