Tweeting faith and family: Russell Wilson goes to church before Super Bowl while Shaun Phillips' son comforts dad after loss
Charlie Riedel, AP
While many football fans gathered on Sunday to snack and socialize during the big game, athletes on both the Seattle Seahawks and Denver Broncos teams made sure to thank God, as well as family and friends, for support and the opportunity to play.
Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson started his Super Bowl Sunday by attending a church service. The athlete has been very open about his Christian faith and often posts Bible verses on his Twitter account. On Feb. 2, Wilson posted a picture of himself at church, along with the Bible verse 2 Corinthians 5:17.
Wilson also tweeted another Bible verse on Sunday before the game, sharing Matthew 6:33 (NIV), "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well."
Bronco's running back CJ Anderson also shared his belief in God on Twitter before the game, as did teammate Ben Garland.
As I put on this suit 2 get ready 2 play in the biggest game of my career I jus wana say God I love you and thank you— C.J. Anderson (@CjAndersonRB9) February 2, 2014
Following the game, other mentions of God came from Seattle's Russell Okung, Michael Robinson and Doug Baldwin Jr.
Glory to God. Nothing less.— Russell Okung (@BDR76) February 3, 2014
After the win, several Seahawks expressed gratitude for their family and fans, who, according to Richard Sherman, are also considered family. But one family moment that surfaced after the game has helped Broncos fans put the game in perspective.
As Denver's defensive end Shaun Phillips was coping with the loss, he exchanged text messages with his son, Jaylen. Phillips later posted a photo of the messages on Twitter, apologizing for letting his fans down and stating that this message has helped him feel better.
Sorry we let you guys down. Messages like this is the I my thing that make me feel better. pic.twitter.com/e6FTuzw7LC— Shaun Phillips (@ShaunPhillips95) February 3, 2014
- Understanding love, handling conflict, other...
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a hobby,...
- After having a baby, dad's brain changes too
- Baby boomers are not selling off homes, but...
- Why do we need an R-rated Hobbit movie?
- Family of teenage girl with burns on 65...
- Utah company brings Disney characters to...
- Nonprofit intervention program in Arizona...
- Why do we need an R-rated Hobbit movie? 16
- Want your marriage to last? Have... 13
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a... 11
- Trust, forgiveness and repentance are... 7
- As Common Core results trickle in,... 6
- Sherry Young: A mother's glimpse into... 5
- Ground to be broken Thursday afternoon... 5
- The Clean Cut: 5-year-old British boy... 3