- Keep your job skills up to date. Technology and globalization have accelerated the pace of change. You need to stay current so you are adding the value necessary to earn decent raises at your current job, and so you have marketable skills in case you lose that job.
- Follow the job market. Even if you are not looking for a job, you should periodically scan employment websites to get a feel for what the market is like. The level of demand for your particular skill set will tell you how confident you should be about asking for a raise, and it might also lead you toward more rewarding opportunities.
- Build your emergency savings. The average stint of unemployment today lasts about 17 weeks, so people who are less than absolutely confident in their jobs should build their savings accounts up to help cover expenses for at least that long.
- Keep your budget in line. While wages are stagnant for many people, expenses always seem to have a way of creeping up. The best way to keep from losing ground is to actively attack your expenses and try to drive them down. In particular, focus on things that can make a big difference, such as checking for refinancing opportunities and getting competing quotes on your insurance every year.
- Make your money work smarter for you. Once you start saving money, that money can go to work for you, but make sure it is working intelligently. Be diligent about minimizing 401(k) fees, insist on a free checking account (yes, they still exist) and shop for higher rates on your savings accounts.
What You May Have Missed
- The best Black Friday deals of 2014
- 4 reasons why you shouldn't shop on Black Friday
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest spenders,...
- Want to save big this holiday season?...
- Working on Thanksgiving Day? Here's why most...
- Immigration reform will boost the economy,...
- 12 ways to get the lowest mortgage refinance...
- Review: 4 shopping apps that will save you money
- Working on Thanksgiving Day? Here's why... 12
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest... 11
- In our opinion: Fear, intentions can... 7
- Immigration reform will boost the... 5
- Thanksgiving trumps Black Friday for deals 4
- Why Salt Lake City is one of the best... 2
- 4 unexpected health risks of smartphone... 1
- The best time of year to buy (Hint:... 1