There is an epidemic of selfies from the attention-starved crowd — Miley Cyrus, Tyra Banks, Kendall Jenner, Lady Gaga, Demi Moore, Ashton Kutcher, Selena Gomez, Geraldo, Katy Perry, Paris Hilton, Charlie Sheen, Justin Bieber, and anyone named Kardashian. They dodge paparazzi, but now they're taking photos of themselves and posting them on Twitter, probably because they can Photoshop them to perfection.
Aki Hoshide, the Japanese astronaut, took a selfie at the International Space Station with the Earth and sun in the background. Beat that.
Selfies, as we define them, have been around since 2002, and 10 years later they really took off, or so say people who chart such things. Actually, selfies have been around forever in one form or another. Van Gogh painted numerous selfies. So did Picasso, Rembrandt, Lucian Freud, Renoir.
Using a camera and a mirror, Paul McCartney and George Harrison took selfies in the ‘60s. As usual, the Beatles were ahead of their time (they also came out with music videos before anyone knew about such things).
Andy Warhol experimented with his own brand of selfies. Ansel Adams and Annie Leibovitz are famous for photos of landscapes and portraits, respectively, but they also turned the camera on themselfies.
Selfies are becoming a fixture in the culture. ABC recently announced plans for a pilot show called “Selfie.” Entertainment Weekly described the pilot this way: “Comedy inspired by 'My Fair Lady' tells the story of a self-obsessed 20-something woman who is more concerned with ‘likes’ than being liked.”
Selfies are here to stay. You can decide if that’s good news or bad. LIKE. COMMENT. SHARE.
Doug Robinson's columns run on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Summer downpour causes flooding, slides...
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court...
- Utah leads the nation in deadly melanoma cases
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- Video of school bus driver shows 'bizarre'...
- Settlement in dog shooting case reached, then...
- Long road to trial begins Wednesday for...
- Republican, Democratic political... 32
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 25
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 22
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 21
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court... 19
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 18
- Critics decry solar fee as 'sun' tax 17
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 12