Search teams find body of missing Colorado man in Utah
MANILA, Daggett County — Search teams from two states found the body of a missing Colorado man Sunday, according to Daggett County Sheriff Jerry Jorgensen.
On Jan. 27, a member of Kenneth Martin Roche's family called the sheriff's office and asked deputies to check on Roche's welfare, Jorgensen said. The relative believed Roche, 45, of Steamboat Springs, was staying in the Brown's Park area at a cabin in Taylor Flats.
A deputy went to the cabin on Jan. 27 and Jan. 28, but found no signs of Roche or his vehicle. Then on Jan. 31, a state Division of Wildlife Resources employee found Roche's vehicle abandoned in the Crouse Creek area near the Utah-Colorado state line, Jorgensen said.
"It was high-centered on a rock," the sheriff said, noting that vehicle was at least 50 feet from the nearest road and there was evidence it had been driven around in the sagebrush.
A law enforcement search for Roche was launched the following day.
"He had several warrants (for his arrest)," the sheriff said, "so we thought he might be hiding from us."
When deputies did not find the man Saturday, the search was increased Sunday to include search and rescue teams from Daggett and Uintah counties, and from Moffat County, Colo.
Roche's body was found about 4:40 p.m. in Crouse Canyon, Jorgensen said. The cause of death is believed to be hypothermia with alcohol as a contributing factor. There were a number of empty alcohol bottles found in Roche's vehicle, the sheriff said.
Roche's body was sent to the Utah State Medical Examiner's Office for autopsy.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: GeoffLiesik
- Feds: Utah companies accused of conducting...
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he...
- 107 years of Grace: Cedar City resident still...
- Families of 3 missing persons ask for...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- Police identify body found on Ben Lomond...
- Man steals woman's boarding pass, checks into...
- Census: Utah has youngest newlyweds, high...
- 200 gather at Utah Capitol in support... 47
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 32
- Carson tops new poll of Utah voters 30
- Feds: Utah companies accused of... 21
- Census: Utah has youngest newlyweds,... 16
- Man fighting for custody of daughter... 15
- Utah GOP, state appear headed to court... 12
- A new approach: What the poor can teach... 8