Search teams find body of missing Colorado man in Utah
MANILA, Daggett County — Search teams from two states found the body of a missing Colorado man Sunday, according to Daggett County Sheriff Jerry Jorgensen.
On Jan. 27, a member of Kenneth Martin Roche's family called the sheriff's office and asked deputies to check on Roche's welfare, Jorgensen said. The relative believed Roche, 45, of Steamboat Springs, was staying in the Brown's Park area at a cabin in Taylor Flats.
A deputy went to the cabin on Jan. 27 and Jan. 28, but found no signs of Roche or his vehicle. Then on Jan. 31, a state Division of Wildlife Resources employee found Roche's vehicle abandoned in the Crouse Creek area near the Utah-Colorado state line, Jorgensen said.
"It was high-centered on a rock," the sheriff said, noting that vehicle was at least 50 feet from the nearest road and there was evidence it had been driven around in the sagebrush.
A law enforcement search for Roche was launched the following day.
"He had several warrants (for his arrest)," the sheriff said, "so we thought he might be hiding from us."
When deputies did not find the man Saturday, the search was increased Sunday to include search and rescue teams from Daggett and Uintah counties, and from Moffat County, Colo.
Roche's body was found about 4:40 p.m. in Crouse Canyon, Jorgensen said. The cause of death is believed to be hypothermia with alcohol as a contributing factor. There were a number of empty alcohol bottles found in Roche's vehicle, the sheriff said.
Roche's body was sent to the Utah State Medical Examiner's Office for autopsy.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: GeoffLiesik
- Summer downpour causes flooding, slides...
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court...
- Utah leads the nation in deadly melanoma cases
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Video of school bus driver shows 'bizarre'...
- Settlement in dog shooting case reached, then...
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding' with...
- Republican, Democratic political... 37
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 25
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 22
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 21
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court... 20
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 19
- Critics decry solar fee as 'sun' tax 17
- Long road to trial begins Wednesday for... 13