Quarter by quarter summary: Seahawks rout Broncos in Super Bowl XLVIII to claim first title
Utah graduate Zane Beadles continued to play left guard for the Broncos, and former Weber State player Paul McQuistan played on the Seahawks' offensive line. Former Aggie Bobby Wagner had six tackles in the first half for Seattle, and fellow former USU player Robert Turbin did not record a stat in the first half for the Seahawks.
First quarter update
First quarter: Seattle Seahawks 8, Denver Broncos 0
The first quarter of Super Bowl XLVIII was one of the most bizarre in football history, including a safety, two challenges and an unusual score.
The Broncos' first possession ended in disaster as center Manny Ramirez hiked the ball over Payton Manning's head and into the end zone. Running back Knowshown Moreno was able to jump on the ball to save the touchdown, but Denver gave up the safety.
This would be the quickest score in Super Bowl history as the safety occurred just 12 seconds into the game.
After the safety, Russell Wilson and the Seahawks drove down to the Denver 1-yard line and had to settle for a field goal after a failed challenge from Seattle head coach Pete Carroll.
Denver's second possession ended in a three-and-out. The Seahawks drove into the red zone again, but had to settle for a 33-yard Steven Hauschka field goal.
To cap this miserable quarter off for the Broncos, Manning threw an interception picked off by Kam Chancellor. In short, the first quarter was all Seahawks.
Utah locals first quarter update
Former Ute Zane Beadles started at left guard for the Broncos, and he made a head-up play by recovering a Denver fumble. Weber State graduate Paul McQuistan saw time at left guard for Seattle. Former Utah State star linebacker Bobby Wagner made one tackle, including one that forced a Denver three-and-out. USU running back Robert Turbin did not record a stat in the first quarter.
Lafe Peavler is a sports writer for the Deseret News
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- Ezekiel Ansah unveils his Turkey Dance...
- BYU football: After initial struggles,...
- Cougars fall short again in 87-85 loss to...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- BYU deals with tough overtime losses at Maui...
- BYU football: Cougar defense confident it can...
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 94
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 47
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 38
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30
- BYU looking for strong finish in... 29
- Cougars fall short again in 87-85 loss... 27