Widow of fallen officer remembers her 'knight in shining armor'
"And then a thought came into my mind that there's also another family that's grieving. And that's the individual who took his life. And my heart aches for that mom and those siblings too because they're going through very similar things and feelings we are," Kathy Wride said.
Blake Wride said it was almost as if his son knew something bad was about to happen. He remembers a week before the shooting, his son called him while working a late night shift, saying how much he missed his family and needed to be home with them.
The next day, he invited his parents over for dinner and to give an LDS priesthood blessing to his wife who had been feeling ill. Blake Wride said there was a melancholy feeling that wasn't quite normal for his son.
"I just felt that there was this, I call it this melancholy feeling, just a serious atmosphere. But now I think I can look back and I personally, everybody might feel differently than me, that that was what we've come to call the tender mercies of the Lord in helping him know, and maybe even prepare that something was coming, and it did."
"And I think it's important for people to know that while this is tragic and horrific and something that we and the sheriff's department - and they are grieving so bad - will never get over. But there is some tenderness here. Cory was doing what he needed to do and I think he was doing it correctly and he went without even knowing he was gone."
About 300 peope turned out to the Sports Park in Spanish Fork for a candlelight vigil Sunday night, joined by family and others who simply wanted to pay their respects.
“We didn’t know the officer but for all that they do for us we decided to come down and just support the family and we are so grateful for all that they do for us,” said Jennifer Hughes of Salem.
Cory Wride's funeral will be held Wednesday at the UCCU Events Center at Utah Valley University in Orem. Blake Wride said early word was an estimated 10,000 family members, friends, fellow law enforcement officers and members of the public are expected to attend.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- Pleasant Grove pizza manager arrested for...
- Candlelight vigil held for critically injured...
- About Utah: They're best in the world
- Two arrested in SLC homicide investigation
- Former Ute, NFL player brings holiday cheer...
- Driver allegedly causes accident on I-15,...
- What does a letter grade mean for my child's...
- A year later, a look at the Utah... 94
- Sugar House man intends to sue police,... 36
- Anti-police protests tie up traffic on... 33
- What does a letter grade mean for my... 19
- Couples celebrate one-year anniversary... 19
- Audit: Utah still relies heavily on... 16
- Utah lawmakers recommend lowest-cost... 16
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary... 13