Cliff Grassmick, AP
BOULDER, Colo. — Rebounding, specifically a lack thereof, was very much on Utah coach Larry Krystkowiak’s mind after Saturday’s 79-75 overtime loss at Colorado.
The Buffaloes outrebounded the Utes 42-24, pulling down a whopping 17 on the offensive end — recovering a majority of their 31 misses in the game.
“We got them to miss a number of shots and it’s just Russian roulette at that point,” Krystkowiak said. “You can’t keep letting teams rebound. That’s our biggest deficiency right now and we are going to have to solve it this week.”
As Utah (14-7, 3-6) prepares to host Washington on Thursday and Washington State on Saturday, Krystkowiak insists the situation is solvable.
“We will get over it,” he said.
The Utes have struggled on the boards as of late, having been outrebounded in four consecutive games. In losses to Arizona and Colorado, they’ve surrendered 37 offensive rebounds.
Getting exposed like that, Krystkowiak said, doesn’t give them a chance to compete against anybody.
The Utes, though, are making a habit of coming close. Their seven losses this season have come by a combined 26 points.
“We beat a good basketball team,” said Colorado coach Tad Boyle. “I talked a lot about Delon Wright before the game and holy cow — seven steals, 17 points and 11 assists — the guy is a really good player.”
Utah had other good showings as well. Brandon Taylor also scored 17 points, including a 3-pointer with six seconds remaining that forced overtime. Dakarai Tucker had 11 points and freshman Ahmad Fields added nine off the bench. Jeremy Olsen was the top rebounder with eight.
When it was over, however, Taylor acknowledged there wasn’t a lot to say after the Utes dropped their 11th consecutive road game. They let a 12-point lead slip away in the second half.
“I really don’t know to be honest with you,” Taylor said when asked what made the difference in overtime.
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Video: Former USU running back Robert...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball strength coach...
- Jazz rookie Dante Exum looks like a kid but...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon State
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 174
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 115
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 48
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 46
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45