CENTERVILLE — A 36-year-old Roy woman was arrested early Saturday after leading police on a high-speed chase while traveling the wrong way on Legacy Highway.
A Centerville police sergeant first spotted Vickie Lynn Diamond's Chrysler 300 when it entered Legacy Highway from U.S. Highway 89 heading south in the northbound lanes around 2 a.m., Assistant Centerville Police Chief Paul Child said. The sergeant was heading home, but immediately pursued the vehicle and attempted to stop the driver before it encountered any other traffic.
Child said the vehicle continued to travel against traffic, which was "very light," at speeds in excess of 90 mph.
Officers shut down the northbound lanes at Parrish Lane in Centerville and 500 South in Woods Cross and set up a roadblock at 1275 North in Centerville. Child said it was traffic spikes set up on the roadway between Centerville and West Bountiful that deflated the tires and stopped the vehicle.
"The chase came to an end on the Parrish Lane overpass on Legacy in the northbound lanes without causing any injuries or crash," Child said, noting that the vehicle passed five others heading north while it traveled south at 90 mph.
A breath test conducted about an hour after Diamond's arrest indicated a blood alcohol level of 0.168 percent. A blood test is pending. The legal limit in Utah is .08 percent.
Diamond was arrested and booked into the Davis County Jail for investigation of driving under the influence, evading, reckless driving, speeding and going the wrong way.
- Manti man indicted in Oregon occupation;...
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- Millcreek man found dead near Saltair was...
- 'He was large, he was angry, he was bloody,'...
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain from...
- State: EPA didn't clue in Utah on San Juan...
- Inversion tightens grip on Wasatch Front
- BYU's first physics grad earns posthumous Grammy
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 34
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 32
- IRS raids properties with possible... 20
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain... 14
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 11