“We didn’t have Morgan (Bailey) the first night we played Pacific,” BYU head coach Jeff Judkins said. “Today, we had a good one-two punch. If Jennifer (Hamson) didn’t have it, she got the ball down to Morgan quite easily. This was the best we’ve played together as a team, and it shows on the stats.”
Hamson led all scorers with 25 points and seven blocks while picking up career highs in rebounds (18) and assists (4). Lexi Eaton (19), Morgan Bailey (17) and Kim Beeston (15) all scored in double figures for the Cougars. Kylie Maeda tied her career-high seven assists.
BYU (17-5, 7-4) shot 58 percent from the floor while holding Pacific (11-10, 6-5) to just 27 percent shooting on the night. The Cougars out-rebounded the Tigers, 39-27, and led the two teams in points in the paint, 44-16 .
Hamson and Bailey got things started for the Cougars in the first half by combining for 11 points to give BYU an early 11-7 lead.
Following a steal from Xojian Harry, Maeda assisted Hamson to give the Cougars a double-digit lead at 20-10 with 11:25 left in the first half.
BYU held on to its double-digit advantage with help from an Eaton 3-pointer that put the Cougars ahead, 33-17.
After being ahead by as many as 18 points, the Tigers fought back to cut BYU’s lead down to 10 at the break, 43-33. Hamson took a double-double of 19 points and 11 boards into the locker room, while Eaton contributed 11 points at the midway point.
With both teams trading points, Beeston hit back-to-back 3-pointers to extend her team’s lead back to double digits. That started a 23-4 run that put the Cougars ahead 68-42 following consecutive Bailey layups.
It was all BYU from that point as the Cougars ran away with an 88-57 victory.
BYU stays on the road next week as it takes on Santa Clara on Thursday at 7 p.m. PST. The Cougars beat the Broncos in Provo last month, 61-44. Links to live stats will be available on the BYU women’s basketball schedule page.
Royce Hinton is the women's volleyball sports information director for BYU Athletic Communications.
- ACC media days has some interesting tidbits...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to expand,...
- BYU football: Alani Fua may be next Cougar...
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is an...
- Former BYU defensive lineman Eathyn...
- Off on the right foot: BYU Cougars looking...
- Big 12 commish's dire warning about pending...
- BYU freshman linebacker reportedly dismissed...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 167
- Report: Former BYU guard Jimmer... 73
- BYU freshman linebacker reportedly... 72
- BYU's Jamaal Williams, Utah State's Joe... 58
- Peavler: Arizona vice president of... 52
- ACC media days has some interesting... 35
- Brad Rock: Decades later, equality... 30
- Watch list roundup: 22 local players... 26