3 trucks, 29 cars involved in smash-ups on I-15 near Brigham City
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News Archives
BRIGHAM CITY — A storm that dumped 3 inches of snow in less than hour in Box Elder County spurred eight pileups on a mile stretch of I-15 involving 29 cars and three semi trucks.
One female motorist in a compact car suffered critical injuries in the vehicular melee Saturday morning, and was taken to McKay-Dee Hospital in Ogden.
As many as eight other people also sustained injuries in the crashes, but were not hurt as seriously as the woman, said Utah Highway Patrol Lt. Lee Perry.
The string of collisions forced the closure of northbound I-15 from Perry to the 1100 South exit in Brigham City, with police diverting traffic to U.S. 89 until the thoroughfare was passable.
Perry said motorists were traveling too fast for conditions on the icy roadway. The first crashes happened about 9 a.m., as a couple of cars were attempting to exit the interstate and crashed.
Other vehicles trying to avoid the initial collision then spun out of control, spawning one incident that involved six cars and another with five cars. At least one semi jack-knifed.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: amyjoi16
- Celebrate summer fun with a photographic look...
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding' with...
- 67 unaccompanied children who crossed...
- Lawsuit claims State School Board violated...
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort
- Investigation into shooting death of Uintah...
- Video of school bus driver shows 'bizarre'...
- NTSB: Plane that crashed in Arizona killing...
- 67 unaccompanied children who crossed... 75
- Republican, Democratic political... 48
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding'... 28
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 26
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 23
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 22
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court... 22
- Lawsuit claims State School Board... 20