After a slow start, the BYU women’s tennis rallly came up short against No. 41 Washington, falling 4-3 at the Nordstrom Tennis Center on Friday.
“I'm really proud with how the girls performed today,” BYU head coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. “We are moving in the right direction. We came out slow in doubles but quickly turned it around in singles. The match could have gone either way.”
The Cougars (0-2) gave up the doubles point before coming back against the Huskies (3-1) in singles play.
The three freshmen came up big for BYU. At first singles, Mayci Jones pulled off the victory, 7-5, 6-4, over Grace Ysidora.
Toby Miclat topped her opponent in three sets. After taking the first set, 7-5, and then losing the second, 5-7, the freshman clinched the point in the third, 10-5. Savannah Ware secured her match with Natali Coronel by capitalizing in the tiebreakers of the second set, 6-4, 7-6 (6).
Junior Meghan Sheehan-Dizon’s comeback bid fell short against Elianne Douglas-Miron, 6-4, 1-6, 11-9. Sophomore Nicolette Tran had a similar outcome, losing to Julija Lukac, 3-6, 6-4, 11-9. Junior Morgan Anderson-Littlewood fell to her opponent, 6-4, 6-2.
“The team learned how important these tiebreakers are,” Jones-Spencer said. “If we capitalize on the big points in the tiebreakers, then it would have been our match.”
The Cougars will be on the road again for a two-game swing next week as they take on Washington State on Feb. 7 at 10 a.m. PST and Boise State on Feb. 8 at 10 a.m. MST.
McKay Perry is the sports information director for BYU men's and women's tennis. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Top 25 QB seasons in BYU history, part 1
- Local flavor in the NBA (and beyond):...
- Top 25 QB seasons in BYU history, part 2
- Former BYU wide receiver Cody Hoffman rejoins...
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat about this...
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's open to...
- Reports: BYU's Chase Fischer to play for...
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts addiction by...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 104
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 81
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 27
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 20
- Former BYU guard Cory Calvert to... 6