BYU gymnastics: Willman Hatch wins the all-around on a career night for BYU
It was a career night for BYU gymnastics as the meet saw 10 individual career highs from the Cougars and a season-high 196.425 to finish second behind Denver’s 196.550 on Friday night in the Smith Fieldhouse.
“It was a great meet. We finally competed like we do in practice,” BYU head coach Brad Cattermole said. “On the floor we struggled a little bit because we still had last meet's struggles on our mind. I’m sure we’ll come out of that in the next meet or two and we’ll be back to looking really good on the floor.”
On the vault, BYU tallied a team score of 49.100, its second highest total in the event this season, to top Denver’s 49.075. The Cougars were led by Eliane Kulczyk’s 9.875, which tied her career high on the vault. They also received scores of 9.825 from Johnson and Hatch.
After the Pioneers scored a 49.300 on the uneven bars, the Cougars had their best performance in the event this year scoring a 49.325. They were led by career highs from Hatch (9.950), Johnson (9.875) and Kulczyk (9.850).
On the beam, the career highs continued to come in for BYU, this time from Ashley Follett (9.800) and Summer Raymond(9.900). The Cougars combined to finish with their season-high 49.075 in the beam, but Denver had a strong finish at the beam with a 49.200 to top BYU.
KayCee Gassaway scored a 9.775 on the floor routine and Johnson finished with a 9.900 - both career highs. Hatch scored a 9.850 to secure the top spot in the all-around. The team finished with a season-high 48.925 just behind Denver’s 48.975.
BYU stays home to host in-state rival Utah State in its next meet Friday at 7 p.m. MST in the Smith Fieldhouse.
Spencer Shamo is a Communications major at BYU and the BYU softball SID.
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- Photo gallery: BYU spring football scrimmage...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- BYU players work out at Pro Day in hopes of...
- BYU track: Tingey, Harriott, Adams and Walker...
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 23
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans... 19
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 16
- BYU football hosts 'Friday Night... 13
- NCAA 'service work' has been... 7
- Utah’s Wright, BYU’s... 6
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony... 6