Community outpouring strengthens family of fallen officer
Born in Montecello, Wride graduated from American Fork High School. He attended Salt Lake Community College and Utah Valley State College. He was a member of the Utah National Guard for 12 years and was in his 20th year of service with law enforcement.
More farmland than homes, the Benjamin community bears evidence of Wride’s hobbies.
He bred paint horses and had started a cattle operation with his father Blake and had anywhere from six to eight cows, Blaine Wride said. He was a member of the Diamond Fork Riding Club.
Friends and neighbors have taken over the care of Cory Wride's animals since his death.
"Those horses and cows have never been taken care of better," Revill said of the service provided to the family.
Wride farmed his own hay, according to Blaine Wride, who helped Cory – who did not yet have a tractor – with farming when he first moved in. Farm equipment scattered across the back lot of Cory Wride’s home Friday was proof that the once novice farmer was now managing operations on his own.
Blaine Wride described his cousin as "very family oriented." Each year, he would go pheasant hunting with his dad and brothers.
His family had "deep roots" near Fish Lake. Cory Wride and his dad would visit in the summers and use the family trailer and boat, spending half days on the lake.
Revill fears the hardest times are ahead for the family, when life gets back to normal for others, but remains different for them. He said he is working on getting foundations and scholarships set up in his brother-in-law's name. They are also looking into possible legislation to install bullet-proof windows in police cars.
"We want to make a difference from what's happened to Cory," he said.
Contributing: Paul Nelson
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Researchers: Patients have only themselves to...
- We were there: See Deseret News front pages...
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- Love not attending Salt Lake City Rotary Club...
- Rock climber falls to his death at Zion...
- Friend says wrong-way driver 'wasn't in his...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 79
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 58
- Federal government extends same-sex... 37
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 15
- Risque video shoots trigger... 14
- Housing recovery slowest since World... 12