Born in Montecello, Wride graduated from American Fork High School. He attended Salt Lake Community College and Utah Valley State College. He was a member of the Utah National Guard for 12 years and was in his 20th year of service with law enforcement.
More farmland than homes, the Benjamin community bears evidence of Wride’s hobbies.
He bred paint horses and had started a cattle operation with his father Blake and had anywhere from six to eight cows, Blaine Wride said. He was a member of the Diamond Fork Riding Club.
Friends and neighbors have taken over the care of Cory Wride's animals since his death.
"Those horses and cows have never been taken care of better," Revill said of the service provided to the family.
Wride farmed his own hay, according to Blaine Wride, who helped Cory – who did not yet have a tractor – with farming when he first moved in. Farm equipment scattered across the back lot of Cory Wride’s home Friday was proof that the once novice farmer was now managing operations on his own.
Blaine Wride described his cousin as "very family oriented." Each year, he would go pheasant hunting with his dad and brothers.
His family had "deep roots" near Fish Lake. Cory Wride and his dad would visit in the summers and use the family trailer and boat, spending half days on the lake.
Revill fears the hardest times are ahead for the family, when life gets back to normal for others, but remains different for them. He said he is working on getting foundations and scholarships set up in his brother-in-law's name. They are also looking into possible legislation to install bullet-proof windows in police cars.
"We want to make a difference from what's happened to Cory," he said.
Contributing: Paul Nelson
- Parents remember child, 6, who died days...
- British judge hears arguments in case LDS...
- Parties have now finalized arguments in...
- Can House speaker be a 'real fighter' in...
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in Micronesia
- 25-year-old man dies after losing control of...
- Teen with traumatic brain injury making...
- Layton man injured in Afghanistan adopts...
- Parties have now finalized arguments in... 76
- Utah recognition of same-sex marriage... 74
- British judge hears arguments in case... 60
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in... 41
- Cyclists killed in early morning crash... 36
- Utah prosecutors forward allegations... 34
- House report: John Swallow hung 'for... 32
- BYU chemist makes breakthrough... 29