Book review: 'The Execution' is right up the alley of 'Law and Order'
"THE EXECUTION: A Jeremy Fisk Novel," by Dick Wolf, William Morrow, $27.99, 352 pages (f)
Author Dick Wolf's “The Execution" tells the story of Detective Jeremy Fisk, a member of NYPD’s Intelligence Division, an anti-terrorism unit stationed in New York City.
In the aftermath of Fisk’s rescue of President Barack Obama from an infamous terrorist threat, Fisk is put on security duty during United Nations Week in Manhattan.
Complicating matters, Fisk meets a Mexican intelligence agency detective, Cecilia Garza, who is as beautiful as she is incorruptible. As the head of her all-male law enforcement unit, she has been dubbed the “Ice Queen” because she is famous for never showing any weakness.
As their paths cross, Fisk and Garza are intertwined in a race to stop the assassination of the Mexican president by a legendary “narco-terrorist” called Chuparosa, an assassin known for his beheadings and hummingbird trademark.
"Law and Order" creator Wolf’s story centers on an extension of the Mexican drug war into the United States and details all of the gruesome depictions that come along with it.
The novel includes an extreme degree of swearing and foul language as well as several scenes of described violence, including beheadings, and occasional sexual innuendo.
Overall, the book presents an intriguing glimpse into the life of law enforcement units in Mexico and the United States and a compelling tale of the terror and crime of corrupt gang leaders and public officials.
Wolf’s knowledge and portrayal of law enforcement units in Mexico and New York is extensive, as are his crime descriptions. However, the novel moves slowly at times yet ends too abruptly.
Wolf also authored “The Intercept,” the first novel in his Jeremy Fisk series. “The Execution” is the second book in the series.
Alexis Jones is currently a law student at the University of Utah. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Broadway composer Frank Wildhorn visits...
- Book review: Long-awaited 'Raven King' ends...
- Five for Families: Live-action Disney films...
- Utah Opera to explore love in Mozart's...
- Dan Wells talks about right, wrong in horror...
- Book review: 'The Nest' turns dreams and...
- Former Prince assistant says he was healthy,...
- Rolling Stones ask Trump to stop playing...
- Utah agrees not enforce obscenity law... 13
- Rolling Stones ask Trump to stop... 6
- Official: Utah teacher violated policy... 6
- It's May the Fourth: What's next for... 2
- Dan Wells talks about right, wrong in... 1
- Utah Symphony gets standing ovation at... 1
- Former Prince assistant says he was... 0
- Cosby tries again to delay criminal... 0