Society onference syllabi: Historical societies hold annual conferences that usually publish a syllabus. These provide insights, tips, and research strategies specific to the area of interest.
Special interest publications: These focus on groups that have a common experience or shared interest among the group of patriotic, military and heraldic society publications (for example, the B-26 Marauder Historical Society, United Daughters of the Confederacy, Daughters of the American Revolution and Daughters of the Utah Pioneers.) They provide data on individuals that participated in the common or shared experience, a rich profile of records available from local to national levels, genealogies, profiles of units and groups and insights into daily life.
Family publications: These are also known as surname publications and focus specifically on a family and are full of family group sheets, individual histories, details of family reunions, photographs, documented genealogies, and lists of publications that contain family information. These types of publications include the following:
- Help to set research in the proper historical context
- Useful information for citation analysis (for example, constructing the widest possible data pool in which to look for ancestors)
- In-depth information of individuals, communities, and so on to which our ancestor belonged
- Items such as genealogies, transcripts and abstracts of local records, probate records, church records, and cemetery records
- Unique and forgotten sources of information
- Important research tips for the area
- Indexes and abstracts source materials
- Help to focus on the articles that will have the greatest value
Barry J. Ewell is author of "Family Treasures: 15 Lessons, Tips and Tricks for Discovering your Family History" and founder of MyGenShare.com, an online educational website for genealogy and family history.
- The Clean Cut: David Archuleta sings 'If the...
- David Archuleta, Mormon Tabernacle Choir,...
- LDS Church releases 'He Is The Gift'...
- John Jones died in a cave, but his widow...
- LDS Church to send email newsletters to...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- Evangelicals with gay children challenging...
- Richard Paul Evans: 8-year-old boy with bone...
- New friends plan to work together to... 63
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 22
- Evangelicals with gay children... 21
- John Jones died in a cave, but his... 14
- Ask Angela: Should I end this... 11
- David Archuleta, Mormon Tabernacle... 10
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an... 8
- 7 bizarre ways religious leaders have... 5