LDS Church posts topic page on Book of Mormon and DNA studies
SALT LAKE CITY — A new page posted on the LDS Church's website says DNA studies cannot decisively "affirm or reject the historical authenticity of the Book of Mormon."
"Book of Mormon and DNA Studies," posted at LDS.org on Friday, is one of several additions or enhancements to the site's "Gospel Topics" pages in recent months.
"The evidence assembled to date suggests that the majority of Native Americans carry largely Asian DNA," the latest page says, while the Book of Mormon is the record of the migration of three groups to the Americas from the Near East or West Asia hundreds of years before Europeans arrived.
Many Latter-day Saints in the 1800s assumed the Book of Mormon groups were the first people in the region, and some critics have suggested that Near Eastern DNA then should be easy to find among Native Americans today.
"The Book of Mormon itself, however," the LDS.org page says, "does not claim that the peoples it describes were either the predominant or the exclusive inhabitants of the lands they occupied."
"Much as critics and defenders of the Book of Mormon would like to use DNA studies to support their views," the page adds, "the evidence is simply inconclusive. Nothing is known about the DNA of Book of Mormon peoples ... and even if their genetic profile were known, there are sound scientific reasons that it might remain undetected."
The page includes descriptions of principles of DNA studies such as "population bottleneck" and "genetic drift" it says would make it unlikely scientists could detect the DNA of the people described in the Book of Mormon.
The post is about 2,700 words long and includes 28 footnotes and links to papers by a geneticist, a DNA researcher and an anthropologist.
Other recently added or enhanced Gospel Topics pages at LDS.org include "Race and the Priesthood," "First Vision Accounts" and "Plural Marriage and Families in Early Utah."
- Elder Perry to undergo cancer treatment,...
- 27 more tips for couples: Marriage advice,...
- 5 professional athletes who stand up for...
- LDS Church to create Central Eurasian Mission...
- Elder Oaks warns of rising secularism,...
- Q-and-A with Elder Oaks: Protecting religious...
- Defending the Faith: Warfare and the Book of...
- Sweeping size of Payson Temple reflects...
- Q-and-A with Elder Oaks: Protecting... 67
- Poll: LDS Church influence over... 60
- Defending the Faith: Warfare and the... 59
- Spiritual journey leads 3-term U.S.... 50
- Physicist tells New York Times he keeps... 35
- 5 professional athletes who stand up... 21
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 20
- The best (and worst) countries for... 16