Suspect in fatal deputy shooting dies of wounds
Sgt. Cory Wride was 'one of those good guys,' brother-in-law says
Utah County sheriff's investigators searched a home in Draper Thursday night. Both Garica-Juaregui and the teen girl were believed to have connections to the house, possibly staying there at various times.
Tracy said he did not know Friday what the relationship was between Garica-Juaregui and the girl.
Garica-Juaregui first arrived at the Utah State Prison on April 22, 2008, on a conviction of attempted murder, a second-degree felony, and aggravated assault, a third-degree felony. He was paroled in December of 2012.
Garcia-Juaregui was sent to prison after pleading no contest to two felony charges of attempted murder and aggravated assault with a dangerous weapon. As part of a plea deal, another case of third-degree felony assault by a prisoner that stemmed from a fight at the Utah County Jail, was dropped.
Just after midnight on Aug. 7, 2007, Springville police got a call that a man had been run over by a car, then was stabbed with a screwdriver. Garcia-Juaregui was identified as the man responsible for the altercation.
Revill, speaking for the family, said Garcia-Juaregui's "evil" has left "a path of unimaginable sorrow for our family."
"Cory was taken from us in a senseless act of violence doing what he loved most, serving people," Revill said, adding that the Wride family wanted to send its love and support to Sherwood and his family.
"As a family, we're struggling with this. We're having a hard time," Revill said. "We're asking a lot of questions and why this has to happen to Cory and the family. But we want you to know that as a family, we know, we're comforted to know that we'll see Cory again. And we'll be together as a family again," Revill said.
Wride grew up in American Fork and was raising his family in Benjamin on land his grandfather used to farm. His cousin, Blaine Wride, recalled talking with him Wednesday about caring for the cows.
"It's going to be tough on his family," Blaine Wride said. "Somebody like Cory, he's put in a lot of time. He's influenced a lot of lives."
Wride is survived by his wife, five children, eight grandchildren and his parents.
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Six arrested in wild Utah County kidnapping;...
- 'Living nightmare' almost over for daughters...
- Friends, family, strangers gather at vigil...
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while lunging...
- Ex-Tabiona High teacher sent to prison for...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- 'They killed my son because he's... 78
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 65
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while... 52
- Taylorsville teacher injured after her... 47
- Do guns belong in the hands of... 40
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- Vail Resorts buys Park City Mountain... 16
- Utah's Gov. Gary Herbert eyes more... 11