Suspect in fatal deputy shooting dies of wounds

Sgt. Cory Wride was 'one of those good guys,' brother-in-law says

Published: Friday, Jan. 31 2014 12:00 p.m. MST

Utah County Sheriff's Sgt. Joshua Chappell gives a fellow Utah County sheriff's officer a hug at a press conference where the name of the suspect was released in the shooting death of Utah County Sheriff's Sgt. Cory Wride and shooting of deputy sheriff Greg Sherwood on Thursday, Friday, Jan. 31, 2014, in Spanish Fork.

Tom Smart, Deseret News

SPANISH FORK — For nearly 20 minutes, Utah County Sheriff's Sgt. Cory Wride attempted to determine just who was in the stopped pickup he stopped to help along state Route 73.

What Wride didn't know was that a wanted fugitive who had recently served prison time for attempted murder after running over an acquaintance and stabbing him multiple times with a screwdriver was inside the truck. As Wride sat in his police vehicle trying to verify the identities of a man and a teenage girl, a handgun was pointed out the back window toward him.

Wride was shot twice and killed.

Friday afternoon, the Utah County Sheriff's Office announced that the suspect, Jose Angel Garcia-Juaregui, 27, the man who police believe killed Wride and later shot Utah County sheriff's deputy Greg Sherwood, had also died from injuries he sustained in a later shootout with police.

"He was unconscious and remained that way until his death," said Utah County Sheriff Jim Tracy.

On Friday, as the investigation into a deadly 50-mile crime spree through two Utah counties continued, friends, family members and the state's community of law enforcement officers mourned the tragic loss of a loved one.

"He was just one of those good guys," Johnny Revill said of his slain brother-in-law. "(He was) like any of these guys you see with badges around here, trying to do their job, trying to do the best they can and serve the public. He was a good guy," Revill said.

Wride, 44, died Thursday afternoon near Eagle Mountain while trying to assist what he thought was a stranded vehicle. Sherwood was later shot in the head after the deputy chased after the same suspects near Santaquin. He remained hospitalized Friday in critical condition.

A 17-year-old girl who was with Garcia-Juaregui was being held in the Slate Canyon Juvenile Detention Center in Provo for questioning Friday. Her name was not released, and detectives were still trying to determine Friday what her role was and whether she was a willing participant in the crime spree.

She had retained an attorney and was talking to investigators, Tracy said. Detectives had not yet positively confirmed whether the girl or Garcia-Juaregui fired the fatal shots, although they believe it was Garcia-Juaregui.

"I can't make that determination through the video," Tracy said.

New information about the two shootings was released Friday, including the revelation that the incidents were recorded on dashboard cameras from the deputies' patrol cars. The video will be enhanced and played at a slower speed to help detectives with their investigation.

The suspect

Garcia-Juaregui was a wanted fugitive. A warrant had just been issued Wednesday for his arrest for violating the conditions of his parole. Whether the shooting was motivated by Garcia-Juaregui's desire not to go back to prison was something that Tracy said may never be known.

Investigators said they no longer believe Wride was ambushed as soon as he pulled up to the stopped vehicle in Eagle Mountain. Wride, a 19-year veteran of the force, actually got out and talked to Garcia-Juaregui and the girl before he returned to his vehicle and was shot, Tracy said.

Wride saw the pickup with its hazard lights blinking on the side of the road off state Route 73 about 1 p.m. He passed the vehicle, performed a U-turn and parked behind it. He then attempted to figure out who was in the vehicle by using the laptop computer in his patrol car.

Try out the new DeseretNews.com design!
try beta learn more
Get The Deseret News Everywhere