BYU basketball: Freshman center Eric Mika responds well to Pacific's physical play
PROVO — BYU's Eric Mika responded well to Pacific's physical brand of basketball.
The freshman center scored a career-high 20 points, grabbed eight rebounds and recorded three steals in the Cougars' 88-78 win over Pacific Thursday night at the Marriott Center.
Mika was relatively quiet throughout the first half, but exploded for 16 points in the second half. The 6-foot-10 freshman played aggressive, physical, and put together one of the best games of his early career.
“I think he was more confident taking the ball to the rim and going through some big, physical guys,” said BYU coach Dave Rose. “I think he was way more explosive tonight than he has been, so that was a really good sign.”
Play was very physical throughout Thursday's game, and even chippy at times. Some loose elbows led to the officials having to separate players on numerous occasions. One such play led to the ejection of Pacific forward Gabriel Aguirre late in the second half.
Playing physical is what Mika relishes.
“It was a physical game, which I like to play, so it was definitely a good game to come back and play well," said Mika.
Mika's frontcourt efforts were helped considerably by Nate Austin, who finished with seven points, eight rebounds and two blocked shots, which energized the team. Together, both big men were the model of efficiency — combining for nine offensive rebounds and 9-of-11 shooting from the field while committing just three turnovers.
“Those nine offensive rebounds between him and Nate led to some really positive things for us," Rose said.
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain Covey's...
- Faith and family are driving forces for LDS...
- 2015 BYU Commits
- 2015 Utah Football Commits
- Dick Harmon: College football recruiters are...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Best in class: Breaking down the recruiting...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 79
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 40
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35