Vuissa said the festival has always tried to “have a very broad approach” to the films that LDS filmmakers are producing. Although the festival has a policy not to show R-rated content, some subject matter addressed in the past, including topics such as drug abuse in Utah County, may not be suitable for broad audiences, he said.
There will be question-and-answer sessions following each film, and forums and presentations during the day on Friday and Saturday.
Vuissa is impressed with the advancement he sees in the industry. He doesn't have his own entry this year, but he isn't worried about that.
"I'm a peer, just as much a beginner as anybody else," he said. "I enjoy watching some of my students' work."
Vuissa said he's watched several successful filmmakers start out at the festival and go on to enjoy great success with films such as "Saints and Soldiers" and "The Saratov Approach."
"The future becomes more and more exciting," he said. "The industry is evolving."
If you go:
What: 2014 LDS Film Festival
Where: SCERA Center for the Arts, 745 S. State St., Orem
When: Feb. 5-8, with Wednesday night opening at 7 p.m., and feature films and competitions throughout Thursday-Saturday
Cost: $50 all-event pass, $20-$30 for individual day passes
Sharon Haddock is a professional writer with more than 35 years' experience, 17 at the Deseret News. Her personal blog is at sharonhaddock.blogspot.com.
- New Mormon Message video highlights how much...
- Defending the Faith: Columbus among the Nephites
- No more excuses: Mormon dad designs home...
- Two apostles visit Northern South America,...
- New DVD tells story of David Archuleta's...
- Mormon neighbors help Catholic nuns with...
- Young performing LDS missionary shares...
- How to get 'Meet the Mormons' in theaters...
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with... 49
- Defending the Faith: Columbus among the... 49
- New DVD tells story of David... 12
- New Harmony: Viewing the penmanship of... 9
- New Utah rabbi hopes to 'perfect the... 6
- New Mormon Message video highlights how... 6
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies... 5
- 5 unusual places of worship 5