Vuissa said the festival has always tried to “have a very broad approach” to the films that LDS filmmakers are producing. Although the festival has a policy not to show R-rated content, some subject matter addressed in the past, including topics such as drug abuse in Utah County, may not be suitable for broad audiences, he said.
There will be question-and-answer sessions following each film, and forums and presentations during the day on Friday and Saturday.
Vuissa is impressed with the advancement he sees in the industry. He doesn't have his own entry this year, but he isn't worried about that.
"I'm a peer, just as much a beginner as anybody else," he said. "I enjoy watching some of my students' work."
Vuissa said he's watched several successful filmmakers start out at the festival and go on to enjoy great success with films such as "Saints and Soldiers" and "The Saratov Approach."
"The future becomes more and more exciting," he said. "The industry is evolving."
If you go:
What: 2014 LDS Film Festival
Where: SCERA Center for the Arts, 745 S. State St., Orem
When: Feb. 5-8, with Wednesday night opening at 7 p.m., and feature films and competitions throughout Thursday-Saturday
Cost: $50 all-event pass, $20-$30 for individual day passes
Sharon Haddock is a professional writer with more than 35 years' experience, 17 at the Deseret News. Her personal blog is at sharonhaddock.blogspot.com.
- Women hired by LDS Church History Department...
- Larry King interviews Lindsey Stirling about...
- LDS missionary department leader: Zika has...
- LDS Church donates additional $5 million to...
- UTubers: Returned LDS missionary part of...
- Mormon Mentions: Adam Levine praises The...
- Elder Oaks to speak at Johns Hopkins on...
- After 3rd round of Hollywood Week on...
- Obama at prayer breakfast: 'Jesus is a... 25
- Obama's take on 3 key debates about... 13
- Bernie Sanders disappoints some... 13
- Hamblin & Peterson: Buddhism and violence 7
- Women hired by LDS Church History... 5
- Wheaton provost apologizes to Larycia... 5
- 'Rich and fascinating': New online... 4
- Taylor Halverson: Finding the first use... 4