Vuissa said the festival has always tried to “have a very broad approach” to the films that LDS filmmakers are producing. Although the festival has a policy not to show R-rated content, some subject matter addressed in the past, including topics such as drug abuse in Utah County, may not be suitable for broad audiences, he said.
There will be question-and-answer sessions following each film, and forums and presentations during the day on Friday and Saturday.
Vuissa is impressed with the advancement he sees in the industry. He doesn't have his own entry this year, but he isn't worried about that.
"I'm a peer, just as much a beginner as anybody else," he said. "I enjoy watching some of my students' work."
Vuissa said he's watched several successful filmmakers start out at the festival and go on to enjoy great success with films such as "Saints and Soldiers" and "The Saratov Approach."
"The future becomes more and more exciting," he said. "The industry is evolving."
If you go:
What: 2014 LDS Film Festival
Where: SCERA Center for the Arts, 745 S. State St., Orem
When: Feb. 5-8, with Wednesday night opening at 7 p.m., and feature films and competitions throughout Thursday-Saturday
Cost: $50 all-event pass, $20-$30 for individual day passes
Sharon Haddock is a professional writer with more than 35 years' experience, 17 at the Deseret News. Her personal blog is at sharonhaddock.blogspot.com.
- Mormon creator of 'Battlestar Galactica'...
- Capturing 'Mormon Faces': LDS mother,...
- 'Attitude of gratitude': 25 quotes from LDS...
- Jabari Parker posts photo of himself with LDS...
- In the Whirled: The good Mormon Democrat
- The Clean Cut: A cappella group's take on...
- For his brothers: American Fork family with 4...
- Faith leaders leave Vatican with high hopes...
- In the Whirled: The good Mormon Democrat 96
- At the Vatican, President Eyring says... 87
- America needs heroes, Mitt Romney tells... 55
- Defending the Faith: A note on the... 33
- Faith leaders leave Vatican with high... 33
- Former presidential candidate Mitt... 32
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage... 26
- Q&A with President Henry B. Eyring,... 22