UVU basketball: Hunsaker named to Academic All-District 8 Team
For the second year in a row, Utah Valley point guard Holton Hunsaker has been named to the Capital One Academic All-District 8 Men’s Basketball team and is now eligible for the Academic All-America Team.
The College Sports Information Directors of America announced the teams Thursday. District 8 is represented by student-athletes from schools in Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Nevada, Oregon, Utah and Washington.
Joining Hunsaker on the team are Thomas van der Mars (University of Portland), Johnny Dee (University of San Diego), Malte Kramer (Pepperdine University), Beau Levesque (Saint Mary’s College) and Brandon Taylor (University of Utah).
"Holton has great work ethic and time-management discipline," UVU coach Dick Hunsaker said. "His recognition is a credit to his enjoyment of learning and his outstanding professors. He has been an exceptional representative of our basketball program at Utah Valley University."
Hunsaker is an accounting major and has a 3.88 cumulative GPA. His list of honors received during his career at UVU also include being named the 2012-13 Great West Conference Male Scholar Athlete of the Year and a two-time academic all-conference honoree. He will make it a three-time honor when the WAC announces its all-academic team following the school year.
As a junior, he was also named to the Division I-AAA Athletic Directors Association Scholar Athlete Team, as well as earning first-team All-Great West Conference. Over the summer, Hunsaker interned in Washington, D.C. for Utah Senator Orrin Hatch.
On the court, he is leading Utah Valley with an average of 12.1 points per game and also the WAC with a 4.2 assist average.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- Christian Stewart writes final chapter on...
- Dick Harmon: Sonny Detmer's bloodline about...
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why OU...
- Reports: Jackson Vroman found dead
- Jazz not expected to be a major player (or...
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake Heaps'...
- Why is William Penn, a Quaker university in...
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake... 49
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why... 42
- Morning links: New BYU commit's late... 31
- Dick Harmon: BYU's retired AD Glen... 27
- Jazz not expected to be a major player... 13
- Dick Harmon: Sonny Detmer's bloodline... 12
- Utah State wide receiver/kick returner... 10
- Former Utah Utes guard Delon Wright... 9