BYU track: Distance runners to debut as BYU goes to UW Invitational
The BYU men’s distance runners will make their season debut as BYU track travels to Seattle to compete at the Washington Invitational on Friday and Saturday.
“We are going to open up our distance guys for the first time this season,” head coach Ed Eyestone said. “Our guys have looked fit in workouts, and Seattle always has great competition. We know the importance of bringing our 'A' game. They have a great venue up there. We’re looking to post fast times and qualify some runners for nationals.”
The Cougars will have a strong group running the 3000 meters, led by All-Americans Jared Ward and Tylor Thatcher. They head a group of runners that together took fourth overall at the 2013 NCAA Cross-Country Championships, including Jonathan Nelson, Steve Flint and Jason Witt, winner of the West Coast Conference cross-country championship meet.
Braydon Bringhurst and Kyle Brown hope to continue their strong starts to the season in the pole vault, with each posting new personal bests within the last two meets. Zachary Stetler and Craig Merkley lead the Cougars in the shot put and weight throw, respectively.
The meet will begin Friday at 1 p.m. PST with multi-events and field events. Friday’s running events start at 5 p.m. Saturday’s running schedule kicks off at 9:15 a.m. PST with the men’s 3000 meters and continues throughout the day, finishing with the 4x400 meter relays at 5 p.m. Field events begin at 10 a.m.
Justin Green is the sports information director over men's track and cross country for BYU Athletic Communications. He is a BYU student majoring in public relations and minoring in business and will graduate in April 2014. Email: justinjgreen8@gmail.
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games ranked...
- BYU student parlays app idea into a life-changer
- Video: Former BYU outfielder Jacob...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 82
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 48
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 32
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 25
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 13
- BYU student parlays app idea into a... 12