Seattle Seahawks' Derrick Coleman surprises 9-year-old, hearing-impaired twins (+video)
Charles Sykes, Invision for Duracell
Seattle Seahawks' fullback Derrick Coleman took time away from his Super Bowl preparations to meet two young girls who view him as their inspiration.
Last week, Coleman received a letter via Twitter from 9-year-old Riley Kovalcik responding to a Duracell commercial in which Coleman was recently featured. The commercial highlights Coleman's hearing impairment and the teasing he endured.
The commercial resonated with Riley and her twin sister Erin because they also have hearing impairments, and they were inspired by Coleman's determination to do his best.
Riley's letter to Coleman stated, "I know how you feel. I also have hearing aids. Just try your best. I have faif (sic) in you."
After Riley's father posted a picture of the letter to Twitter, it soon became viral, and the NFL player responded with a letter of his own.
Coleman wrote, "Even though we wear hearing aids, we can still accomplish our goals and dreams!"
But Coleman didn't stop there. So touched by the impact he had made on these 9-year-old girls, Coleman worked with "Good Morning America" to surprise the twins from New Jersey in person.
"I would probably just run past the security guards, under their legs, right past the security guards (and) jump on top of him," Riley said when "Good Morning America" asked her what she would do if she were to meet Coleman.
A few moments later, the fullback appeared behind Riley and Erin. The girls shouted and covered their mouths.
See more US News from ABC|ABC World News
"Oh my gosh, are you really?," Erin asked.
Coleman gave the girls hugs and took a selfie with them.
The NFL star then gave the twins one more surprise:
"On behalf of Duracell, we want to invite you guys to the Super Bowl," Coleman told Riley and Erin. "You and your little brother, your dad, your mom. Come watch us play."
The Kovalcik family expressed their appreciation on Twitter.
Thursday morning Coleman also tweeted, expressing his excitement about having Riley and Erin at the Super Bowl.
- 'Say Thanks': Facebook launches new feature...
- Piano Guys, David Archuleta, 'Nutcracker':...
- Be thankful — there's a theology of...
- 4 unexpected health risks of smartphone use
- The Clean Cut: A cappella group's take on...
- The Clean Cut: Michael Bublé and Idina...
- 15 things you should give up to be a happier...
- At the Vatican, President Eyring says family...
- At the Vatican, President Eyring says... 89
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage... 28
- The Clean Cut: Michael Bublé and... 9
- Make way for a new family act in Vegas:... 5
- Brittany Maynard, right-to-die voice,... 5
- Consumer group lists '10 worst toys'... 3
- The Clean Cut: Magic of Disney's... 3
- This new video game shows that there is... 3