Super Bowl XLVIII preview: Top offense meets top defense when Broncos, Seahawks clash
Seth Wenig, ASSOCIATED PRESS
After the end of an amazing regular season, the NFL was able to showcase some of the most compelling postseason matchups in recent memory. As the playoff battles ended, the dust settled, and only two teams remained standing. The Denver Broncos and the Seattle Seahawks will clash this Sunday in the biggest football game of the year, the Super Bowl.
Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning has had a season for the ages. He set NFL records in passing yards and touchdowns in 2013, the first quarterback to do so since Sid Luckman did it in 1943. Behind Manning's arm, the Broncos had the most explosive offense in history. With the records he has broken, and the success he has led his team to, it has been nothing short of heroic.
With every hero comes a villain to match up up with. The villain in this scenario is being painted as Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman. Sherman's controversial comments in a postgame interview generated a storm of criticism. In the interview, Sherman referred to himself as "the best corner in the game," a title that may rightfully be his. Sherman led the league in interceptions this season with eight, and leads the NFL in interceptions and passes defended since he entered the league.
While Manning and Sherman have both had great individual seasons, their team success is what brought them to this point. The Broncos have the top offense in the NFL, where as the Seahawks have the top defense in the NFL, which sets the stage for a historic Super Bowl.
You can follow Mitch Kunzler on Twitter at @MitchKunzler.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 86
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 35
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33