Geoff Liesik, Deseret News
MYTON, Duchesne County — A Roosevelt man died Thursday after a tanker truck jack-knifed, rolled and crushed his pickup truck.
The crash happened on Parriette Road near the junction with U.S. 40 about 6:55 a.m. when the driver of the tanker truck lost traction as he descended a hill on the two-lane road, according to Utah Highway Patrol trooper Brett Hansen.
One of the trailers being pulled by the truck jack-knifed and crossed into the oncoming lane, striking a pickup truck driven by Dean Townsend, 49, of Roosevelt, Hansen said. The tanker and its trailers rolled, crushing Townsend's pickup truck.
"He was pinned and died due to traumatic injuries," Hansen said.
The trailer that jack-knifed rolled down a hill and ruptured, spilling its load of black-wax crude oil. Some of the oil made it into an ice-covered irrigation canal at the bottom of the hill. The oil quickly solidified in the cold weather, due to its high paraffin content.
Crews from EnviroCare were called in to cleanup the spill, which the TriCounty Health Department estimated at 6,500 gallons of oil. A second tanker from Holly Trucking was also brought in to pump oil out of the overturned truck's primary tank.
Because of the extensive damage to the pickup truck, it took Roosevelt firefighters about 30 minutes to extricate Townsend from the wreckage. His body has been sent to the State Medical Examiner's Office for autopsy.
The driver of the tanker truck, 49-year-old Darrel Wiser, of Nibley, Cache County, suffered a scrape on the neck, Hansen said. He was issued a citation for failure to operate in a single lane, the trooper said.
Troopers and Duchesne County sheriff's deputies will continue to investigate the crash and will submit their final reports to the Duchesne County Attorney's Office for review, Hansen said. They believe icy roads may have been a contributing factor.
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- A World War II veteran's story: 'I had...
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Watch out for Utah Highway Patrol 'slow-down'...
- Mothers of kidnapped Bountiful girls speak out
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 158
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 75
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 48
- Police release names of officers... 36
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 33
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Utah facing affordable housing crisis,... 18
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 17