He never did win that ring. Nor did his brother, Andre, who, after playing four seasons with the Titans, two of them as Kevin’s teammate, went to the Super Bowl as a starting cornerback for the Seattle Seahawks — a 21-10 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2006.
“Oh for three,” says Dyson.
Dyson retired after the 2003 season. He was just 28, but the injuries had taken their toll and scared off NFL teams. He played in just 59 regular-season games, having missed almost two full seasons with injuries during his six years in the league. He finished with 178 catches for 2,325 yards and 18 touchdowns. Now 38, Dyson, who has two master’s degrees, is assistant principal and athletic director at Stewarts Creek High School in Smyrna, Tenn. He coached high school football for seven years, as a head coach and assistant, but gave it up.
“I’ll probably get back into, but I have two young kids and a wife, and I want to spend more time with them,” he says. “I had my time when football was my life. Priorities change.”
In his house there are several framed photos on the wall, including The Tackle. “It’s part of who I am, my legacy,” he says. “It was one of the biggest games in Super Bowl history. I played in two Super Bowls. There are lots of people who didn’t play in any. And then to be able to have something as memorable as that. I’ve always been humbled by it.”
Doug Robinson's columns run on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Week 17 NFL locals roundup & gallery: Ansah...
- Prep Wrestling: state's best wrestlers to...
- How to watch Utah football stars, local...
- Herriman brothers say their bond, competition...
- Prep Wrestling: Mountain View wins Bruin Classic
- Utahns who made us love sports in 2015
- High school basketball: Morby's last-second...
- MountainStar Healthcare Star Athletes of Week 20
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns... 90
- High school football: 2016 schedules... 5
- Layton junior high wrestler loses... 3
- Morning links: 4 Utahns on ESPN 300... 3
- Ranking the 38 Utah ties selected in... 3
- Dick Harmon: Why NCAA's wise decision... 1
- Skyridge High School 2016 football... 0
- Ridgeline High School 2016 football... 0