BYU tennis: Cougars face Air Force, No. 57 Denver on the road
Riding a 38-match win streak versus regional opponents, No. 45 BYU men’s tennis hits the road this weekend for meetings against Air Force and No. 57 Denver.
The Cougars (4-2) face the Falcons (2-0) on Friday at 9:30 a.m. MST and the Pioneers (1-1) on Saturday at 4 p.m.
“I think the past weekend really helped us to understand our team, where we are and where we need to go,” BYU head coach Brad Pearce said. “We’ll be focusing ourselves on preparing for Air Force and Denver. We’re excited for two tough matches.”
The Cougars are coming off their first losses of the season in matches against No. 8 Kentucky and No. 39 Minnesota, but they aim to return to their winning ways, riding a 38-match unbeaten streak against ITA Mountain Region opponents.
BYU owns the all-time record versus Air Force with 27 wins and three losses. Against Denver, the record is 10-3.
“On paper Denver is a very strong regional rival, and we’re expecting a battle there,” coach Pearce said. “As for Air Force, you can never take for granted any of the service academies.”
Highlighting the season so far is regional No. 8 Francis Sargeant, who is 4-1 in dual play. The captain of the Cougars leads a team that includes eight freshmen. Matthew Pearce and Juan Canales have each posted a 3-2 record, while Aidan Carrazedo has gone 3-1 during the young season.
Live stats can be followed on Air Force’s athletics website.
BYU’s next home match will be versus No. 47 Boise State on Saturday, Feb. 8 at 5:30 p.m. MST.
McKay Perry is the sports information director for BYU men's and women's tennis. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- Photo gallery: BYU spring football scrimmage...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- BYU players work out at Pro Day in hopes of...
- BYU track: Tingey, Harriott, Adams and Walker...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 24
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans... 19
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 18
- BYU football hosts 'Friday Night... 13
- Report: BYU assistant coach Mark Pope... 8
- NCAA 'service work' has been... 7
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony... 6
- BYU’s Atuaia ‘hopeful,... 4