"I think many people don't know about our families and what we go through, and we need to educate people about what we're going through, and how difficult it can be raising a family like ours in a state like Utah," Maravi said. "We are not asking for something different or special, just what everyone is getting."
The supporters of same-sex marriage braved cold temperatures to cheer on impassioned speeches demanding rights and recognition for same-sex couples and urging supporters to take their message to Utah's legislators, carrying homemade signs proclaiming messages like "Marriage rights are human rights" and "Keep calm and marry on."
Marcy Taylor of Ogden declared herself "battle ready" as she rallied the cheering crowd.
"We are past the point of needing or wanting you to understand, it is clear that the tears, heartache and devastation do not speak to your hearts," she said, addressing opponents of same-sex marriage. "We are past the point of civility, as calling us unnatural, asking us to stifle our love and promoting only one type of family as traditional is beyond being civil."
Matt Spencer, communications director for the Restore Our Humanity group, offered a more tempered message. He asked the group to lend a loving hand to those who may be hiding their support for same-sex marriage "in a closet."
"Please encourage your friends, your family, those on the fence about being vocal to come out, come out of the closet and speak to the people who make the decisions that regard our lives," he said.
- Hundreds search for missing Provo woman who...
- 'As great as hosting the Olympics': Utah's...
- Husband and wife of 74 years die hours apart...
- Father raises awareness of congenital defect...
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant coach...
- Former Romney finance chairman courting a...
- 22 songs Utahns love singing in the car
- Ed and Elizabeth Smart make plea for help in...
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 61
- Former Romney finance chairman courting... 56
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 47
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 21
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 21
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant... 21
- Utah high school students unprepared... 16
- Poll: 'Undecided' tops Utah Republican... 15