"I think many people don't know about our families and what we go through, and we need to educate people about what we're going through, and how difficult it can be raising a family like ours in a state like Utah," Maravi said. "We are not asking for something different or special, just what everyone is getting."
The supporters of same-sex marriage braved cold temperatures to cheer on impassioned speeches demanding rights and recognition for same-sex couples and urging supporters to take their message to Utah's legislators, carrying homemade signs proclaiming messages like "Marriage rights are human rights" and "Keep calm and marry on."
Marcy Taylor of Ogden declared herself "battle ready" as she rallied the cheering crowd.
"We are past the point of needing or wanting you to understand, it is clear that the tears, heartache and devastation do not speak to your hearts," she said, addressing opponents of same-sex marriage. "We are past the point of civility, as calling us unnatural, asking us to stifle our love and promoting only one type of family as traditional is beyond being civil."
Matt Spencer, communications director for the Restore Our Humanity group, offered a more tempered message. He asked the group to lend a loving hand to those who may be hiding their support for same-sex marriage "in a closet."
"Please encourage your friends, your family, those on the fence about being vocal to come out, come out of the closet and speak to the people who make the decisions that regard our lives," he said.
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- Drug deal messages pop up on tablet parents...
- YouTube star Stuart Edge hopes to inspire...
- Former Springville High student arrested for...
- Two suffer minor injuries in gyrocopter crash...
- Intermountain Healthcare taps new CEO
- Utah man held 1,164 days in jail... 37
- 'Dirty soda' lawsuit calls shop's... 22
- Former Utah Gov. Mike Leavitt advising... 20
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 19
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- National conservative group backs... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 16
- Sutherland Institute looks to broaden... 15