Regarding the inversion and smog issue: Our legislators ought to realize that this is serious business. Each one of us breathes the air — our grandchildren, children, friends and visitors.
Why don't they get tough? On red days, anyone driving over 65 should pay twice the fine when caught.
And refineries, or anyone who emits anything, should have to shut down. These companies often shut down in the summer for repairs, cleaning, etc. That shouldn't be punitive for them, they can just adapt to knowing December and January should be the times they shut down for their maintenance. That ought to help a great deal.
- Jay Evensen: Legislature's pornography...
- Ralph Hancock: The anti-establishment delusion
- Jay Evensen: Ask people in the Third World if...
- Jonathan Johnson: The truth about sales tax...
- Barack Obama: Religious freedom keeps us strong
- In our opinion: National security and the...
- My view: Scouting: Friend or foe?
- My view: Mayor Biskupski deserves to build...
- In our opinion: National security and... 75
- Is it time for our first woman president? 55
- Robert J. Samuelson: The false charms... 55
- Barack Obama: Religious freedom keeps... 30
- Jay Evensen: Legislature's pornography... 30
- Letter: Coal and job creation 21
- Ralph Hancock: The anti-establishment... 19
- Letter: Hillary and FOIA 18