The spiritual side of legendary folk singer Pete Seeger
Joe Giblin, File, Associated Press
The tributes to late folksinger, songwriter and activist Pete Seeger, who died Monday, have a common theme of an always optimistic man who could rally people to a good cause through music.
But did Seeger consider himself a spiritual leader?
"I’ve had preachers of the gospel, Presbyterians and Methodists, saying, 'Pete, I feel that you are a very spiritual person.' And maybe I am," Seeger said in an interview with Beliefnet in 2006. "I feel strongly that I’m trying to raise people’s spirits to get together."
He told the interviewer that his mother was "briefly a member of the Unitarian Church" and he joined a Unitarian-Universalist church because he needed a place for his chorus to rehearse. He embraced a pantheism of sorts.
"According to my definition of God, I’m not an atheist," Seeger added. "Because I think God is everything. Whenever I open my eyes I’m looking at God. Whenever I’m listening to something I’m listening to God."
He did write one song that could be classified as a hymn.
"His enduring contribution to the American Religious Songbook is 'Turn, Turn, Turn,' an adaptation of the beginning of the third chapter of Ecclesiastes (King James Version)," wrote religion scholar Mark Silk for Religion News Service. "The song was written in 1954, when the public began to become concerned about nuclear weapons testing in the Pacific."
And Huffington Post posted a slide show of quotes that give a glimpse into the folk icon's spiritual insight.
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Leading Jordanian Muslim and Christian...
- Police arrest man who posed as Mormon...
- A year later: Humanitarian Bishnu Adhikari...
- LDS YouTube family, the Shaytards, featured...
- Chris Williams shares about the power of...
- Sherry Young: Dreams of these three people...
- Defending the Faith: Perhaps the world's most...
- Workers removing Ten Commandments from... 50
- Sunday School leader apologizes for... 39
- Lois M. Collins: The 'death' of faith... 37
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 25
- The spiritual revolution taking place... 20
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 17
- Leaders close conference by urging... 13
- Police arrest man who posed as Mormon... 12