The spiritual side of legendary folk singer Pete Seeger
Joe Giblin, File, Associated Press
The tributes to late folksinger, songwriter and activist Pete Seeger, who died Monday, have a common theme of an always optimistic man who could rally people to a good cause through music.
But did Seeger consider himself a spiritual leader?
"I’ve had preachers of the gospel, Presbyterians and Methodists, saying, 'Pete, I feel that you are a very spiritual person.' And maybe I am," Seeger said in an interview with Beliefnet in 2006. "I feel strongly that I’m trying to raise people’s spirits to get together."
He told the interviewer that his mother was "briefly a member of the Unitarian Church" and he joined a Unitarian-Universalist church because he needed a place for his chorus to rehearse. He embraced a pantheism of sorts.
"According to my definition of God, I’m not an atheist," Seeger added. "Because I think God is everything. Whenever I open my eyes I’m looking at God. Whenever I’m listening to something I’m listening to God."
He did write one song that could be classified as a hymn.
"His enduring contribution to the American Religious Songbook is 'Turn, Turn, Turn,' an adaptation of the beginning of the third chapter of Ecclesiastes (King James Version)," wrote religion scholar Mark Silk for Religion News Service. "The song was written in 1954, when the public began to become concerned about nuclear weapons testing in the Pacific."
And Huffington Post posted a slide show of quotes that give a glimpse into the folk icon's spiritual insight.
- LDS Church releases video about overcoming...
- Ask Angela: I'm not getting married in the...
- LDS stake presidency participates in ALS Ice...
- 'Frozen' star Santino Fontana discusses...
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death of 2...
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate...
- Mormon teen, future U. gymnast earns silvers...
- LDS temple rises in Philadelphia
- Ask Angela: I'm not getting married in... 84
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 34
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate... 30
- LDS stake presidency participates in... 17
- LDS Church releases video about... 10
- Amish country bristles at... 9
- As churches take measures to prevent... 6
- Want to keep your faith in college?... 6