Salt Lake man ordered to prison in fatal 2010 shooting
SALT LAKE CITY — A Salt Lake City man was ordered to prison Tuesday for shooting and killing a 19-year-old woman in 2010.
Delfino Arriaga-Luna, 34, was sentenced to up to 40 years in prison by 3rd District Judge Randall Skanchy in connection with the death of Stephanie Williams. Skanchy ordered prison terms of one to 15 years for both manslaughter and obstructing justice, second-degree felonies, and a zero- to five-year term for possession or use of a firearm by a restricted person, a third-degree felony.
Skanchy ordered all of the prison terms to run consecutively to each other. Due to a gun enhancement, he also added a sentence of one to five years in prison that will run consecutively to the others, court records state.
Williams was found dead with two gunshot wounds to the head April 5, 2010, in her grandmother's house on 300 North near 800 West, charging documents state. Witnesses reported hearing at least three gunshots about midnight.
Two men were seen running out to a green, four-door car parked in Williams' driveway and driving off following the gunshots.
Police located Luna hiding in a woman's apartment on 600 South on April 6. While in custody, he admitted to police that he shot Williams in the face with a .40-caliber pistol.
Luna was originally charged with murder, a first-degree felony, but he pleaded guilty to the reduced, second-degree felony manslaughter count — along with the obstruction and firearm charge — in December.
- Argument, break-up threats preceded double...
- Sandy man beat woman, tried to put her in an...
- 10 Utahns charged in alleged identity theft...
- 15 moments many Utahns will never forget
- Top 10 best road trip spots (and photo...
- Episcopal bishops seek end to 'unholy...
- Lane splits on I-15 near Point of the Mountain
- UVU hopes to become 'national leader' with...
- Utahns have mixed reactions to Supreme... 57
- Experts: Decision raises religious... 52
- Episcopal bishops seek end to 'unholy... 40
- Utah's same-sex marriage supporters... 30
- Father, son used LDS Church membership... 27
- Support for law requiring sales tax for... 24
- Educators, parents see four-year high... 13
- Hatch plays key role in Senate passing... 12