Salt Lake man ordered to prison in fatal 2010 shooting
SALT LAKE CITY — A Salt Lake City man was ordered to prison Tuesday for shooting and killing a 19-year-old woman in 2010.
Delfino Arriaga-Luna, 34, was sentenced to up to 40 years in prison by 3rd District Judge Randall Skanchy in connection with the death of Stephanie Williams. Skanchy ordered prison terms of one to 15 years for both manslaughter and obstructing justice, second-degree felonies, and a zero- to five-year term for possession or use of a firearm by a restricted person, a third-degree felony.
Skanchy ordered all of the prison terms to run consecutively to each other. Due to a gun enhancement, he also added a sentence of one to five years in prison that will run consecutively to the others, court records state.
Williams was found dead with two gunshot wounds to the head April 5, 2010, in her grandmother's house on 300 North near 800 West, charging documents state. Witnesses reported hearing at least three gunshots about midnight.
Two men were seen running out to a green, four-door car parked in Williams' driveway and driving off following the gunshots.
Police located Luna hiding in a woman's apartment on 600 South on April 6. While in custody, he admitted to police that he shot Williams in the face with a .40-caliber pistol.
Luna was originally charged with murder, a first-degree felony, but he pleaded guilty to the reduced, second-degree felony manslaughter count — along with the obstruction and firearm charge — in December.
- Video: How to choose the right helmet for...
- ACLU sues the state over inadequate legal...
- Body of missing hiker found above Alta
- Documents: Former teacher says he used to...
- Nearly 70 percent of Utahns say Donald Trump...
- Costco begins new credit card agreement
- Worthy of celebration: 99-year history of...
- Syracuse woman killed in Antelope Drive crash
- Immigration ruling called hurtful, a... 75
- Nearly 70 percent of Utahns say Donald... 62
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 32
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 29
- ACLU sues the state over inadequate... 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25
- Rio Grande neighborhood 'more unsafe... 21