The bill would create a grant program. School districts would apply for the grants to provide two hours of instructional time outside the regular school day. Teachers would be paid for the two hours of additional classroom time and 30 minutes of preparation time each school day.
The program would fund instruction in about 250 classrooms at about $20,000 each, State Superintendent of Public Instruction Martell Menlove recently told members of the state school board, which voted to support the bill.
SB43 is also endorsed by the League of Women Voters of Utah.
Reid said his experiences with his adopted son Chris taught him that giving children "a hand up" can change the trajectory of their lives.
The two met when Reid was Chris Quintana's LDS bishop in Ogden. Recognizing the struggles the boy faced — a drug-addicted mother who had a mental illness, poverty and malnutrition — Reid developed a safety net of coaches, teachers, church leaders and employers to help guide the teen.
He not only graduated from high school, he earned a 3.98 GPA and lettered in cross-country, track, football and soccer. After completing an LDS Church mission to the Philippines, he enrolled in Brigham Young University, where he has maintained a 3.5 GPA, Reid said. Chris, whom Reid and his wife, Laura, adopted, "believes he can do anything."
"He’s this 5-foot, 3-inch Hispanic boy that came out of the inner city with a mother that’s schizophrenic and a drug abuser. If he can have this level of confidence and success, there’s not a child out there that can’t to the same thing. We just have to get it right. The rest of us have to get it right for them so they have the assets they need to be competitive and be successful."
- Hundreds search for missing Provo woman who...
- 'As great as hosting the Olympics': Utah's...
- Husband and wife of 74 years die hours apart...
- Father raises awareness of congenital defect...
- Former Romney finance chairman courting a...
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant coach...
- 22 songs Utahns love singing in the car
- Ed and Elizabeth Smart make plea for help in...
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 61
- Former Romney finance chairman courting... 56
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 47
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 21
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 21
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant... 21
- Utah high school students unprepared... 16
- Poll: 'Undecided' tops Utah Republican... 15