The bill would create a grant program. School districts would apply for the grants to provide two hours of instructional time outside the regular school day. Teachers would be paid for the two hours of additional classroom time and 30 minutes of preparation time each school day.
The program would fund instruction in about 250 classrooms at about $20,000 each, State Superintendent of Public Instruction Martell Menlove recently told members of the state school board, which voted to support the bill.
SB43 is also endorsed by the League of Women Voters of Utah.
Reid said his experiences with his adopted son Chris taught him that giving children "a hand up" can change the trajectory of their lives.
The two met when Reid was Chris Quintana's LDS bishop in Ogden. Recognizing the struggles the boy faced — a drug-addicted mother who had a mental illness, poverty and malnutrition — Reid developed a safety net of coaches, teachers, church leaders and employers to help guide the teen.
He not only graduated from high school, he earned a 3.98 GPA and lettered in cross-country, track, football and soccer. After completing an LDS Church mission to the Philippines, he enrolled in Brigham Young University, where he has maintained a 3.5 GPA, Reid said. Chris, whom Reid and his wife, Laura, adopted, "believes he can do anything."
"He’s this 5-foot, 3-inch Hispanic boy that came out of the inner city with a mother that’s schizophrenic and a drug abuser. If he can have this level of confidence and success, there’s not a child out there that can’t to the same thing. We just have to get it right. The rest of us have to get it right for them so they have the assets they need to be competitive and be successful."
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile offenders...
- About Utah: Selling bikes the new-fashioned way
- Police investigating man who barricaded...
- Police ID man who barricaded himself in motor...
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- Teen in critical condition after slamming...
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery store...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 52
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Are you willing to take a pledge to... 19
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15
- Should scientists be allowed to change... 10