Justin Keiley tied for third and led the No. 38 BYU men's golf team to a tie in fifth place at the Arizona Collegiate on Tuesday.
"We had a really good chance to finish in third, but we started our round poorly and played pretty good in between the round and hung in there, but couldn't finish strong," BYU men's golf coach Bruce Brockbank said. "That's part of being in a desert course."
BYU tied with New Mexico State at 21-over-par, just one stroke behind third place USC. UC Berkeley finished in first at 1-over-par with Arizona trailing by 14 strokes in second place and New Mexico trailing by 18 strokes.
Keiley's third-place finish was one stroke behind to tie in first, but he finished at 1-under-par during the two-day tournament. He also had six birdies in the third round.
"Justin played great," Brockbank said. "He just played his tail off this whole week and was really consistent, but the last hole snuck up on him. I'm really pleased with him and he has matured so much this season, so it's fun to watch."
Jordan Rodgers completed the tournament tied in 17th place at 6-over-par with two birdies in the final round. Sophomore Joe Parkinson finished tied in 33rd place at 10-over-par that included an eagle and two birdies in the third round, while Jordan Hammer finished the tournament at 12-over-par and 1-under-par for the day. Hammer's third round score of 70 was a team best for the round.
Conference foes Pacific (+43) and Loyola Marymount (+58) tied in eighth and 12th place, respectively.
"We'll try to figure out a way to get better before our next tournament in two weeks," Brockbank said.
The Cougars will head to the Turtle Bay Resort for the John H. Burns Invitational on Feb. 19.
- Hayward looking like Captain America early in...
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon features BYU,...
- Ansah, Wagner or Weddle: Which local had the...
- What you may have missed: UConn fan's pleas...
- BYU's defense, among nation's leaders in...
- Gary Crowton resigns as SUU offensive...
- ESPN's Brett McMurphy: 'I actually should...
- Home hasn't been so sweet in Pac-12 play
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5... 56
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 44
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 38
- ESPN's College GameDay is coming to... 34
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get... 26
- BYU overcomes mistakes, downs UConn,... 23
- Dick Harmon: Mangum uses chunk yardage... 22
- Morning links: Kyle Whittingham 'doing... 20