Justin Keiley tied for third and led the No. 38 BYU men's golf team to a tie in fifth place at the Arizona Collegiate on Tuesday.
"We had a really good chance to finish in third, but we started our round poorly and played pretty good in between the round and hung in there, but couldn't finish strong," BYU men's golf coach Bruce Brockbank said. "That's part of being in a desert course."
BYU tied with New Mexico State at 21-over-par, just one stroke behind third place USC. UC Berkeley finished in first at 1-over-par with Arizona trailing by 14 strokes in second place and New Mexico trailing by 18 strokes.
Keiley's third-place finish was one stroke behind to tie in first, but he finished at 1-under-par during the two-day tournament. He also had six birdies in the third round.
"Justin played great," Brockbank said. "He just played his tail off this whole week and was really consistent, but the last hole snuck up on him. I'm really pleased with him and he has matured so much this season, so it's fun to watch."
Jordan Rodgers completed the tournament tied in 17th place at 6-over-par with two birdies in the final round. Sophomore Joe Parkinson finished tied in 33rd place at 10-over-par that included an eagle and two birdies in the third round, while Jordan Hammer finished the tournament at 12-over-par and 1-under-par for the day. Hammer's third round score of 70 was a team best for the round.
Conference foes Pacific (+43) and Loyola Marymount (+58) tied in eighth and 12th place, respectively.
"We'll try to figure out a way to get better before our next tournament in two weeks," Brockbank said.
The Cougars will head to the Turtle Bay Resort for the John H. Burns Invitational on Feb. 19.
- Utah's first family of boxing loses one of...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football winner...
- Local flavor in the NBA (and beyond): Lillard...
- A Super Bowl 1st-timer, Utah native Sealver...
- BYU basketball guard Anson Winder and...
- Utah Jazz forward Gordon Hayward gets a...
- Morning links: Utes land a local commitment...
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball, slow down
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 48
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 41
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 34
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 33
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 31
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Utes get it done at home again 21