Justin Keiley tied for third and led the No. 38 BYU men's golf team to a tie in fifth place at the Arizona Collegiate on Tuesday.
"We had a really good chance to finish in third, but we started our round poorly and played pretty good in between the round and hung in there, but couldn't finish strong," BYU men's golf coach Bruce Brockbank said. "That's part of being in a desert course."
BYU tied with New Mexico State at 21-over-par, just one stroke behind third place USC. UC Berkeley finished in first at 1-over-par with Arizona trailing by 14 strokes in second place and New Mexico trailing by 18 strokes.
Keiley's third-place finish was one stroke behind to tie in first, but he finished at 1-under-par during the two-day tournament. He also had six birdies in the third round.
"Justin played great," Brockbank said. "He just played his tail off this whole week and was really consistent, but the last hole snuck up on him. I'm really pleased with him and he has matured so much this season, so it's fun to watch."
Jordan Rodgers completed the tournament tied in 17th place at 6-over-par with two birdies in the final round. Sophomore Joe Parkinson finished tied in 33rd place at 10-over-par that included an eagle and two birdies in the third round, while Jordan Hammer finished the tournament at 12-over-par and 1-under-par for the day. Hammer's third round score of 70 was a team best for the round.
Conference foes Pacific (+43) and Loyola Marymount (+58) tied in eighth and 12th place, respectively.
"We'll try to figure out a way to get better before our next tournament in two weeks," Brockbank said.
The Cougars will head to the Turtle Bay Resort for the John H. Burns Invitational on Feb. 19.
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty overturned,...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3
- Virginia gearing up for big road test at No....
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down Utah and...
- Utah Sports Ruckus: BYU football's first...
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron in...
- Amy Donaldson: Domestic violence isn't a...
- AAC commish: BYU is a 'power' team 133
- Roller-coaster ride: BYU outlasts... 103
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 101
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 52
- Vai's View: BYU's greatest quarterback... 51
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 49
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU... 48